LegacyGT.com

air conditioner/heater blower removal????

jesse_h

Insult to injury. After having $8,000 hail damage happen to my GT I now have another problem. Seems as though a mouse took up residence in the blower fan, met his demise when I started the car up and now has started rotting and replacing that wonderful new car smell with the scent of decomposing mouse carcass!!!

Anyone take the fan out yet and have some tips for how to do it????

Thanks for your help,

Jesse :(

yeah after I thought about it, I remember I had the "vacation pics" already downloaded. Note of interest here, in the manual they say to take the center console apart, and remove the glovebox to take the blower motor out. That is completely UNTRUE. Just take the black cover that goes over the passenger side footwell out, remove the electrical plug and three screws that hold the blower motor in and it drops down.

I was going to attach a picture of the little bastard that was causing all the stink, but my picture was over the limit of 250k. After taking it out I soaked the squirrel cage in bleach water for a couple hours and cleaned out the blower box as best as I could. I am hoping the stench is gone!!!

• 5 months later...

Thank you Sir, I was going to remove the console, and drop the glove box to remove the blower motor. My wife got some debris in there, and the thing was buzzing like crazy.

I followed your way and had the blower motor out and cleaned in less than 10 minutes. I sure didn't want to waste hours going to the dealer for warranty work.

• 1 year later...

Just did a search for blower motor and found this thread.

Great search button.

My blower is making noise at full speed. I looked under the dash today and said, crap it can't be that easy.

I'll take mine out soon.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just finished the job, it took about 20 minutes start to finish.

Popped the 3 black pins out of the panel, I used a common screw driver, slide it under the head of the pin and just popped them out.

Remove the electrical connector.

Remove 3 screws #20 torx or 8mm socket. One of them is hidden in a recess area to the right of the center of the motor.

Found a bunch of whitish cotton like stuff with some black stuff mixed in.

Blower is nice and quiet again.

Sorry not photo's batteries are dead in the camera.

It's a easy job.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Mouse built a nest in the blower area on my GT last year...That eventually caused the dreaded plugged up condensation hose problem with the resulting wet passenger floor. Dealer cleaned it out under warranty, but probably won't do it again and just yesterday i saw evidence of a mouse revisit (shredded cardboard, etc. blowing out of the vents.

How do these mice get in there and does anyone know of a permament fix?

Place moth balls on the ground under the car. the oder keeps them away.

Out of all the cars I have or have had this is the only one (so far) that has had this problem. I have lived here for 14 years, always have 3-5 cars sitting here.

Some of the cars I've had for 14 plus years.

At least it's easy to fix.

I'm doing my friends blower motor in the next couple of days. She's not one for DIY.

• 1 year later...
I put it back in and the noise is still there. It definitely the fan causing the noise. I don't see any way to lubricate it. Anyone know how? I don't see how this part could go bad...it was not wet and had just two dead leaves in the cage. Nothing to cause it to go bad.

• 3 weeks later...
Mine just started making noise a couple of days ago. I took it out. There was one leaf in there, and no water. I ran it with it hanging out of the blower slot and it was still making noise. I'm thinking it must be the motor making the noise as the fan looks in good shape. I'm told by the dealer this will be covered under my added security warranty, however, there is a $100 deductible. It looks as though I can get a used blower assembly for about half that. Anyone one else having a similar problem when they check their fan noise? Should I trust a used replacement?

• 1 year later...

I finally discovered the source of my poor blower performance. Max Capacity, I got the job done in a little over 20 minutes due to that recessed screw and having improper tools... really needs a ratcheting screwdriver for that one. Otherwise it's a quite easy job.

Here's a photo of what I found inside. Mouse nest, perhaps? Either that or my car ingested a flock of flying carpets.

Oh, I should add that there was some rust on the bottom panel below the blower motor. It looks like water does get in here on occasion. That's not so great for longevity, I would think.

DSC_3439.JPG.84e46e4feafb3291c810db333d70dd00.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update: I have now removed and cleaned my cabin fan about 5 times in the past few months. Needless to say I'm buying a mouse trap. These guys are getting vicious and eating parts of the car. :(

On that topic, I have a new problem where the blower is working one minute and the next time I start the car it's not working. I can start / stop the car, turn on/off the HVAC system multiple times to no effect; it's as if the wire is disconnected. I have to actually open the foot well panel and unplug the fan power connector and reconnect it. Then the next time I start up the system it starts working again. Is there some sort of breaker being tripped? This is really annoying now that the weather is getting above 90 degrees out (and humid -- yuck).

OK, so I think I figured out a little more. The fan sometimes starts working on its own after all. My previous observation may have just been coincidental, or I jarred the fan just enough to make it easier to move.

It seems that if I have the fan set to only level 1 or 2, the fan has a good chance of not spinning up. If I crank it up to 4 or higher, it sometimes fails to start or runs very slowly, and after a few seconds picks up in intensity.

Something tells me that my fan motor may just be wearing out. :)

Anyone else with that problem?

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I'll vouch for the rockauto part.. I replaced mine last year and yes it's that cheap!

They also have a warranty.. I'm so happy as a clam since it's a simple blower motor...

Forgot to add.. it is the whole assembly, nothing comes apart. Call them and confirm in case they changed their policy/part?

• 4 years later...
I found my blower working intermittently and then stopped completely. Cause was a build-up of fine carbon particles created as the brushes in the electric motor wear down. I removed blower (cage was almost perfectly clean), then opened the plastic flap/door at base of motor housing and blew all loose material out of there with a can of chemical air (aerosol duster). Blower works like new again now. Very happy! Did notice some evidence of corrosion caused by water, but blower motor was completely dry at the time.

Archived