LegacyGT.com

What the hell is that sound?

gcallahan

06 LGT sedan 75xxx miles. Last week helping a friend move and all of a sudden I get this loud banging sound from my right front. I pull over, check the lug nuts, all tight. When I get the car home, jack up the front pull the wheel and look for anything loose. Nothing. Get a pry bar and start checking for play in the ball joint, the coil mounts the strut itself. Nothing. Then I pry on the rear of the lca where it mounts to the body. The bushing is obviously bad. So I pull both lca's replace front and rear bushings on them and the ball joints while I have them off. Put it all back together and the banging is still there. It only happens when the right front tire goes over some uneven patches in the road. I have looked all over the right front of the car and everything is tight. I am stumped, any ideas. Thanks G

Thanks for the input guys.

The shock or strut looks fine. No oily residue on any of it. The suspension is working properly through its cycle. Ride height is the same. When re installing the lca's, several times I had to move the sway bar to clear one or the other lca, and it also looks fine. The end links are aftermarket with good bushings.

The only thing I see is the inner cv boot is torn. But the joint has minimal play.

It really feels and sounds like the upper strut mount is loose. But I have check it several times and its tight. I'm stumped.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived