LegacyGT.com

Difference in Axles?

Cody480

I will be replacing my front passenger axle in the morning tomorrow. After purchasing the axle and getting home i remembered that while i was on the phone with the representative he never asked me if my vehicle was m/t or a/t. So I just now looked up the axle on the website, AutoZone, and it is a duralast reman... (7336) is the part number. But when looking it up the whole 7336 line of parts for the legacy gt either says for automatic or it says 32mm or something like that. My question is, am i going to get the car in the air and just have the wrong sized axle or is there a difference?

Sorry if this isnt in the correct compartment to have this thread just seems most fitting.

Well the hub end is the same on either axle.

Thinking about it. I find it hard to rationize why they would engineer a different inner spline size. The lenght could be different (?)

The auto parts store will give you the right axle.

What I would do, is keep the old OEM axle and over the next few month's rebuild it. So when the cheap replacement fails in a few years you can have a OEM replacement.

Learned that lesson the hard way.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks. I hardly made out that far. I put the axle into the splines and gave it a little pull to make sure it was in and wouldn't just fall out, and when i did that the whole "knuckle" came completely out of the housing. It must have been faulty to begin with because i barely pulled on it and it is now not working had to put the old one back in for the time being.

Ouch... FYI just did one side of mine because the CV boot tore... $160 for the brand new axle (not reman) and they didn't specify at or MT. I have no idea what autozone price is since I got it through my friends garage and did not want to go with any rebuilt ones so I don't have to deal with it ever again..

Archived