LegacyGT.com

Assistance needed

Alright, I just joined up here looking for some help as A lot of you on here know more about subarus than anyone I know. To start off with, I'm not too entirely sure what year my legacy GT is, from looking at others' cars it looks anywhere from a 97-99. not too sure. (I'll post some pictures of it later when i figure out how). Anyways, I need some help understanding what is going wrong with my car.

what happens;

I get in, start it up, put it in drive and go, all is fine until I go from 3rd to 4th gear (It's an AT), my revs will jump drastically and the car will kinda of lurch forward a bit and then it'll just drop back down to where it was before. I'm thinking it's the transmission but due to ignorance, I'm not too entirely sure what it could be. Also, sometimes when I'll stop at a stop sign or a red light and then go to accelerate, my car will just simply not move, rev up, or anything. It's almost as if the car is stalling out. If you have any questions about it to help you further assess the problem, I'll try my best to answer them. But if someone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

You can find the year on the placard under the hood, or on the inside of the drivers door.

It does sound like something is up with the tranny. Then again mine does something simular where when it's cold out and it's coasting in 1st it will suddenly buck like it down shifted, then go back into 1st. I also heard that all our cars have that slight hesitation. (where you push on the gas and the split second before it revs up it sounds like it's dying) I actually backed into a dumpster listening to mine.

That said, I'm sorry I don't have answers. Maybe try swapping transmission fluid.

the vin will tell you the year, the 10 character indicates the year.

S = 95

T = 96

V = 97

W = 98

X = 99

i think, Z = 00

1 = 01

2 = 02

the trans is on the way out.

and unless the fluid is low or severely old and burnt, there is no rescue.

at least there is no repair sort of a rebuild.

the trans has a drain plug so you can do a drain and fill which will replace about 1/3 of the fluid.

doing it 3 times with driving in between will replace most of the old fluid.

ATF costs about $15 per gallon, you will need about 3 gallons.

however if properly serviced, the 4eat trans that suabru uses is highly reliable and very durable.

so a used trans is a safe investment and cheaper.

look here, www.car-part.com .

put in your zip code to see what is close to home.

shipping will add about $150 to the price.

if you have to ship, sort by price and look for a bargain.

check the fluid level, color and smell.

EDIT: you might try adding a bottle of Trans-X slip stop on your last drain and fill.

the 00 trans has a known ''slow to engage'' issue which responds well to Trans-X.

some 99s as well.

if your fluid is clean and fresh just do one drain and fill and add the Trans-X.

good luck.

I'm sure it's a 98, last i looked on the door panel it said 98 just wasn't sure. how would I go about changing it? and since I have to do it over and over for three times, does that mean I'm gonna need to fill it everytime i drive/then drain it/then drive/then drain it?

FYI: they start building 99 model year cars around june of 98, but it varies from year to year.

drain, fill, drive.

repeat.

the trans holds about 10 qts.

draining the trans pan will get you about 3.5 - 3.75 qts.

so the more times you do it the more old fluid you remove.

but at some point the fluid you are draining is mostly new.

so 3 drain and fills will replace about 80% of the old fluid.

you can have a shop do it, but that usually cost over 100$ maybe $140.

I'm sure it's a 98, last i looked on the door panel it said 98 just wasn't sure. how would I go about changing it? and since I have to do it over and over for three times, does that mean I'm gonna need to fill it everytime i drive/then drain it/then drive/then drain it?

Yes, that's just what it means, you're trying to get out as much old fluid as you can. The pan holds something like 1/3 of the trans fluid. So the first time you drain and fill it will have 33% new, 66% old. Of course the new will mix with the old so you'll end up with more like 50% new 50% old the second pull, 75% new 25% old on the third. After that point you'll be pulling more new than old and it won't be worth it.

But it's safer than doing a flush at your stealership and a cuss load cheaper. When I called to inquire once about it they wanted $225 for just the flush. For that you can buy about 50 gallons of tranny fluid.

well we took it to a repair shop for the speedometer (as that's been going in and out) and it turns out there's quite a lot wrong with it.

both wheel bearings were worn, right one more than the left so we got that replaced immediately, as well as the cv boot.

left side wheel bearing is worn

both valve covers and cams are leaking

left front rack boot is torn

and the speedo is still out

got a quote for all of it and it's at $1,959.95 for all repairs. and $1595 for the transmission repair.

well we took it to a repair shop for the speedometer (as that's been going in and out) and it turns out there's quite a lot wrong with it.

both wheel bearings were worn, right one more than the left so we got that replaced immediately, as well as the cv boot.

left side wheel bearing is worn

both valve covers and cams are leaking

left front rack boot is torn

and the speedo is still out

got a quote for all of it and it's at $1,959.95 for all repairs. and $1595 for the transmission repair.

You must know their main business is to separate as much money from you as they can. It's really hard to find a repair place that will do the work that you want done. They always try to TELL you what THEY want to do to your car. I get the same BS all the time and I try to tell them what I want done. Sometimes you have to shop around.

I reccomend you buy a service manual for your car. (I bought the Hanes manual on line for $5.00) and do the tranny fluid change yourself. If you don't feel comfortable find a "friend" to help the first time.

As for the speedometer problem. In my opinion it would be better to wait until it's totally broke and then it will be easier for the mechanic to find and fix.

Just my 2 cents worth.

or download the factory service menu from the stickies and use that $5 toward fixing your car.

you can buy a 100% BRAND NEW EJ25 for ~1500 so why. the. fuk. would they charge you that.. people suck

if you buy the parts listed-and thats only like $400 worth of parts and thats aiming high, i bet you can get a guy from NASIOC or something near you to help you fix it for like $200

Archived