LegacyGT.com

Automatic Volume Control

PhilT

A question for all you audio wizards :

I have had the displeasure of renting alot of vehicles, and the only thing that I liked about any of them was an automatic volume control on the radio, which I think was speed related.

Is there any way at all that the Legacy radio can be converted to have this function, as this is high on my wish list. Some may say it's gimmicky, but I really found it useful.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

You're welcome....

I haven't the slightest clue as to how to hook that up...but maybe someone that is a circuit wizard could probably figure it out.

I did have one in a mazda 6 wagon, when I had a rental, and although clever, it got REALLY annoying after a while. I guess it would be nice, if it had a 'defeat' feature, that would allow you to take manual control of it?

The old Galant VR4 did the same thing with the windshield wipers on the intermittent setting. Now that was a feature I miss!

I once had them on the longest delay intermittent and got stuck behind some old lady doing 25 in a 55. When I finally got to pass (1+ mile straight), I took it up to 110+ mph and the wipers went through every setting of intermittent and then low and then high. It was really cool to see.

Plus, when you stopped at a redlight, they dropped in speed to keep it from screeching.

The old Galant VR4 did the same thing with the windshield wipers on the intermittent setting. Now that was a feature I miss!

I once had them on the longest delay intermittent and got stuck behind some old lady doing 25 in a 55. When I finally got to pass (1+ mile straight), I took it up to 110+ mph and the wipers went through every setting of intermittent and then low and then high. It was really cool to see.

Plus, when you stopped at a redlight, they dropped in speed to keep it from screeching.

I must agree...now THAT was a cool feature...too bad it's not incorporated.:rolleyes:

Man, someone tech savvy could make these options for our cars and make a bunch of money as a vendor here.

Thanks...I'm working on it...:lol:

Automatic volume control is something built into the HU. You'd have to a) really hack into the stock system to get this to work, b) really know a lot about amp design, audio theory and electronics to get this to work, and c) have a lot of free time on your hands to get this to work. The easy way around this is just to buy an aftermarket unit, like Blaupunkt or Pioneer (I think) that comes with this option standard.

The automatic windshield wipers are an easier mod to do. Hella makes such a product (called "Raintronic") and I'm in the process of modding it into my Impreza. The parts aren't cheap ($200) but you can order them from Susquehanna Motorsports.

I can let everyone know how it works when I'm finished, but I'm not exactly sure when that will be...:rolleyes:

Archived