LegacyGT.com

Please help: Question on overheating

So my 06 LGT gave me some erratic movement of the temp gauge today and yesterday. My mental acuity and powers of deduction and reasoning (LOL) lead me to believe that the culprit is the thermostat. I've read that it's possible that the banjo bolt can get clogged, starve the turbo, and cause it to overheat and eventually break-- but I don't think that's what's happening here.

At low speeds are the only times that the temp gauge has gone above half, and its happened after the car has been on for only a few minutes, AND also when the car has been running for an hour (I've been on the highway for that hour with no problems during that trip). So what I'm guessing is that the thermostat is faulty and has problems opening/closing during the gas/break/gas/break of local driving.

Just to test that it wasn't (hopefully) the turbo, I drove home (another hour long trip) today and took it easy most of the ride, then smashed some once I got close to my exit. The temp gauge didn't budge from its safe position.

I'm gonna get to changing the thermostat tomorrow afternoon, I just want to get anyone/everyone's input on whether I'm looking at this situation the right way, or if i'm missing something? Thanks in advance guys.

Someone else had the same issue about 2/3 day's ago on here.

Have you made sure there is no air in the coolant system, do you know how to burp the system ?

Do the fans cycle on/off ?

Are both plugs for the fan's plgged in ?

How is the coolant level ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just saw your other post below, did you fix the problem ?

I think so, was going to drive another day to be sure. I parked the car on an incline (a hillside actually), took the secondary coolant cap off, started the car, topped the coolant off and watched (what seemed like a lot of) bubbles rise to the surface. Once they stopped, i turned the car off, replaced the cap and i havent had a problem since. That was yesterday.

Archived