LegacyGT.com

Falken ZE 912 or Potenza S001?

PtPixel

Looking at getting a new set of performance tyres, our climate in NZ is pretty mild, maybe drive on snow 2-5 days per year so don't really need all seasons.

I'm running the stock '08 Spec-B wheels and tyres at the moment (215/45/R18 89W Potenza RE050 A). Local shops have suggested these two tyres. Does anyone have an opinion/advice on them?

The same shop also suggested RE050s (would like more performance) and F1 asymmetric 2's, but they cost about 50% more than the other two options.

ZE 912 is sold as all season in the USA.

I do not think that Potenza S001 is sold at all in the USA but I think it is summer tire.

Summer tires suck on snow - a lot depends on snow.

Do you get wet or dry kind?

Continental does not sell winter tires in AUS or NZ.

Krzys

Not really looking for winter tyres, weather here doesn't get bad enough to justify it. If there's any snow to drive on here it's wet/slushy and only sticks around for about 2-3 days.

Yeah have seen good reviews on the continentals... too bad.

I have read about people being stuck on parking lots (read flat) with summer tires in winter. I think it was dry, fluffy kind.

I drove in October in wet stuff and it was not that bad (Hankook V12 Evo). Not sure that I would like to do this 2-3 days. The snow melted by the evening.

I think both tires will be a downgrade from RE050A, wet and dry performance wise.

Krzys

PS Falken gets low tread wear but it is compared to all season tires, not summer.

Archived