LegacyGT.com

Used car miles

schwinghammer

What's the most miles you'd buy on a used car, all things being equal?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What's the most miles you'd buy on a used car, all things being equal?

• 66k - 80k
    • 81k - 100k
    • 101k - 125k
    • 126k - 150k
    • 151k - 200k
    • > 201k ...doesn't matter as long as I want the car

I'm not in the market for a car, but I wanted to see what you folks thought about a pretty standard question.

What's the highest mileage vehicle you'd be willing to buy for a daily driver, presuming the car is in good condition, less than 15 years old, "runs great", has a good maintenance record, etc, etc.?

I'd say depends on the car, but in general, the high road for me would be around 126k-150k, though I'd go a lot lower if the car wasn't something I could count on lasting for a long while. Just bought my '99 Legacy two weeks ago at 133k, near pristine condition, should last another decade and a half, I'd say.

Depends on the situation. I bought my 98 LGT with around 210k miles for $400. It had a blown engine, swapped in a 2.2 and tuned up the auto trans. By the way it drove you'd think it was a brand new car, not a scrap of rust. Drove it for 2 years/70k miles and sold it for $3k. Why was it worth that? ran perfect and shifted great, who cares about mileage if all the work has been done and it runs well.

It depends on the car, the age, and its usage.

I have bought beaters with over 120K miles.

I have bought low mileage performance cars (ie toys) where the mileage was 3-5K miles/per year. I have bought a 4-year old DD with 50K miles and ruled out cars over 80K miles.

I have a friend who loves to buy slightly higher mileage performance cars.

I personally start getting nervous about buying a car when its it approaching 200K miles. I am anal and like to have everything working 100% and those cars tend to nickel and dime me.

The highest mileage car I've bought was about 68k. That was a 96 Legacy LS that I bought in 2002. At 135k the water pump went and the block cracked.

The OLDEST car I bought was a 99 Legacy GT Limited in 2009. It only had 36k miles on it :eek: ...it overheated the night I bought it and the engine blew a year a half later due to a gallon of stopleak in the oil pan. Sold it on USMB for 2k. He replaced the engine and resold for around 6k.

...cool story, me.

Depends on the deal. I bought my 00 outback with 175k miles and blown headgaskets. Replaced the HGs and clutch. Motor popped at 190k miles... I think the moral here is, don't buy cars with an ej25. Replace your timing belt at 105k... If schwinghammer did that, it wouldn't have happened.

Depends on the deal. I bought my 00 outback with 175k miles and blown headgaskets. Replaced the HGs and clutch. Motor popped at 190k miles... I think the moral here is, don't buy cars with an ej25. Replace your timing belt at 105k... If schwinghammer did that, it wouldn't have happened.

Oh, no, I totally blame myself for the 96. I knew the water pump was going bad - I just put it off for too long. I'm sure I'd still have that car if I had fixed that when I knew about it.

I had a 96 and the waterpump seized at 93k miles. Fortunately it snapped the belt pretty fast so it didn't do any engine damage.

The 96 2.2 is non-interference, so slapped on a new belt and stuff, it was good to go. Still miss that car, but it was a sedan. So I sold it.

Archived