LegacyGT.com

Help!! Something is going wrong with my transmission :(

I just bought a 97 legacy outback the other day and the stick shift started continuously popping out of 4th gear. Do you think this is something simple to fix?

The problem is gone now, but when it happened, it happened about 4 times in over about 2 hours. Has anyone ever had a problem like this? Any help would be GREAT.

I agree with pleaides. A bent fork is most likely the culprit. Usually, the reason that a gear pops out its because the gear/sleeve starting sliding off when there is little no no application of torque through the transmission, and as torque is reapplied the gear has slid far enough back that the torque and teeth of the syncro cause the gear to "pop" out of place and into neutral. The gear/ sleeve slide in the first place because the gear is not full "engaged" to keep it from sliding.

Lol^ all of that..bent fork or the rounded tip....of the fork, just the tip, could be wearing down a little..since the syncros are helical they tend to ease in but if your grinding at all during your shift the syncros are definitely next to start wearing out.

If you know someone to rebuild your transmission, could be the way to go or try to source a newer one..either way the problem will compound with time and be undriveable

You mean you're not interested in helping with tranny problems?

:lol::lol:

I think he's just one of those types that like getting smart to people. But don't say anything to him about it, because as you find with those types, they can't take it when you give it back to them.

the rounded tip....of the fork, just the tip, could be wearing down a little..since the syncros are helical they tend to ease in but if your grinding at all during your shift the syncros are definitely next to start wearing out.

If you know someone to rebuild your transmission, could be the way to go or try to source a newer one..either way the problem will compound with time and be undriveable

The gear sleeve spins within the fork, contacting only the two plastic tabs that are attached to the two end of the fork. If one tab is missing, part of the fork is broken, any attempt to slide the gear sleeve over the syncro and into place with the speed gear can cause a grinding if the main (input) shaft hasn't slowed down enough. This is because the initial/overall pressure may not be enough to completely press the the syncro into the cone of the speed gear and the sleeve teeth may grind with the speed gear teeth as it attempts to engage. There could also be a strut key or spring issue where they are getting hung up and not allowing the gear to fully engage or having the same effect as a broken/damaged fork (with no damage to the fork itself).

If there is an internal problem, and you or someone you know can't fix the problem, a used replacement might be your best bet.

I think he's just one of those types that like getting smart to people. But don't say anything to him about it, because as you find with those types, they can't take it when you give it back to them.

Looks like everyone got that one but you, big guy..

Unfortunately I don't have the time, nor the crayons to explain it to you.

Archived