LegacyGT.com

whose got the silverstars

c-lo

from my search, looks like some people have put the silverstar low beams in. How are you liking them?

was thinking about going with the piaas', but not sure if I want to pay $80 for them right now.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had them in my Integra. They are awesome bulbs. I don't know if I would go for just normal low beams though. I had 9006 low beams and 9005 high beams. The 9005s were easy to adapt to the low beam socket and they were brighter. I wouldn't have paid 40 bucks for silverstars for just the low beams. The 9005 conversion silverstars were awesome though. I know a lot of people who liked them as low beams too.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

anything required for the conversion to the 9005? And by doing that, the highbeams are pretty much useless right?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

You can't do it in the Legacy. What we did with Integras was carve out the little tabs down the middle of the bulb itself and then plug it into the low beam socket. You still had both your lights, just you had 9005 bulbs in all of them. The conversion isn't possible in the Legacy because our low beams aren't 9006 bulbs.

OCDETAILS BLOG

So you think the silverstar low beams are a waste?

I wouldn't say they are a waste. They are a definite improvement over stock. The first thing I bought for my car were HIDs or else I would have Silverstars in my LGT too.

OCDETAILS BLOG

For the ease of availability of the Sylvania (US) Silverstar bulbs, and their relatively low price, I feel that they're worthwhile.

Our lighting assembly is already among what I feel, very humbly, to be "superior" for traditional incandescents. We've got good, relatively even throw, and the cutoff is definitely very good if not excellent for traditional lighting.

I use the Sylvania Silverstar lows because I prefer just a bit whiter light, and it works decently well in that respect.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

there is no doubt the silverstars are brighter than any OEM stock bulb (excluding HID). however, after installing 3 sets into my previous car, i will tell you they tend to burn out very quickly. i had to replace them from 6-10 months per set. now the hubby has his silverstars for over a year but he also has his car parked for 4-5 months while we waited to move it up here. i switched to some cheaper xenon bulbs that run about $18/pair and not $43 at the local walmart. now, i've seen the GE nighthawks and hear they are very bright, but do not know the lifespan of those compared to the silverstars and my cheaper xenon lights. when i installed the xenons on my vibe GT, i was running them for just under 8 months and they were still going strong. once it starts getting a bit darker here, i'll be putting those in the lows and fogs. seems like it's a waste for the high beams, right?
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

^^^

The Sylvania Silverstars do seem to be a bit "spotty" in terms of quality - many tuners I know who've tried (and many also love them enough that they just keep going back for more) them have reported that some of their sets have indeed had very short lifespans. No rhyme nor reason, just happens. :( I've been very lucky so far. Of the 4 cars I've had them in, they've all been just fine. One car is going on about 2 and a half years, now, and still fine.

-----------

trdvibe -

I decided to stick with the "regular" bulbs for the high-beams....I wanted to add a bit of "yellow" to the light's throw, helping my night-time depth-perception.

But I honestly also think that things like this - as long as one's not going with "blue" bulbs or something ;) - it's mostly personal-preference. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Is there a comparable upgrade for the fog lights that would match the Sylvania or Osram Silverstars? Something that is the same color temperature? I wouldn't want whitish low beams and yellowish fog lights. I checked on powerbulbs.com for H3 (fog light) bulbs and the Osrams were noted as having a distinctive gold hue, not what I would want if I got Silverstars for the low beams. They also had some Phillips, etc. but they were noted as having a bluish, HID hue. Any thoughts?

Something that many people are happy with are the Sylvania Cool Blue bulbs instead of the Silverstars. For low beam performance they seem to be above average but without the quality problems that the Silverstars have. They aren't blue at all, so I don't know why they call them Cool Blue. They are actually very white and a nice upgrade from stock bulbs without spending mad amounts of money.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Is there a comparable upgrade for the fog lights that would match the Sylvania or Osram Silverstars? Something that is the same color temperature? I wouldn't want whitish low beams and yellowish fog lights. I checked on powerbulbs.com for H3 (fog light) bulbs and the Osrams were noted as having a distinctive gold hue, not what I would want if I got Silverstars for the low beams. They also had some Phillips, etc. but they were noted as having a bluish, HID hue. Any thoughts?

They have silverstars in H3 .. I had those and they matched up quite nicely. Of course, now I have PIAA Ion Crystal bulbs :) I love the yellow!

All of the bulbs that you are describing in this thread are direct replacement bulbs for the factory lenses? i.e. there is not mod to do other then take the OEM bulb out and put this one in?

Is this easy to do in the legacy? Where can I purchase these bulbs?

Sorry for all the questions. I am new to lighting

I threw on my HIDs on my last car and now driving around with factory bulbs on the LGT is kinda...well...there's no comparison...but I've heard many good things about the Silverstars so I might go for them since they are DIRECT replacements...:D
In Taiwan now...:spin:

^^^

The Sylvania Silverstars do seem to be a bit "spotty" in terms of quality - many tuners I know who've tried (and many also love them enough that they just keep going back for more) them have reported that some of their sets have indeed had very short lifespans. No rhyme nor reason, just happens. :( I've been very lucky so far. Of the 4 cars I've had them in, they've all been just fine. One car is going on about 2 and a half years, now, and still fine.

-----------

trdvibe -

I decided to stick with the "regular" bulbs for the high-beams....I wanted to add a bit of "yellow" to the light's throw, helping my night-time depth-perception.

But I honestly also think that things like this - as long as one's not going with "blue" bulbs or something ;) - it's mostly personal-preference. :)

wow! that's great. on the other forums and boards i'm on, no one has ever gone longer (afaik) than the hubby's 16 mos or so. most everyone has ditched the silverstars because they are over priced and seem to be unreliable. if others have better luck, then that's great. i may end up trying those GE nighthawks too. they are about $30/pair, $10 more than the cheapos and $10 less than the SS.

thanks for the input. picked up the silverstars. we'll see how long they last. hopefully longer than the 3 mo. on my outback.

Matt - Check the "bulb guide" here, you'll get the numbers right off of that; otherwise, just bring your owner's manual in to the store with you, as not all of the various retail stores have 2005 fitments in their systems just yet. But rest assured that we're all covered, and that these incandescents are all standard bulbs that are "plug and play," no mod needed.

trdvibe - :) "Lucky" is my nickname from my parents. ;) The DSM crowd seems to be half-and-half as to their overall experience with the Sylvania Silverstars. Our community is quite large, though, so our sample size may just be larger than that of most communities, but even then, I'd say that it's definitely worth bringing up the spectre of potential Q/C problems with them to any potential buyer. Good call.

rockford33 - Consider going with slightly more yellow, or outright very yellow (i.e. Narva Gold, PIAA Ion Crystal) coloration for your fogs.... Our eyes are very sensitive to light in that color spectrum, and you'll actually see better through fog and other inclimate weather as a result. But be careful to not rely on our "fogs" too much, and turn them off when you don't truly need them, as the extra foreground light can cause you to visually "wash out" down-field light, thus actually make you see *worse* at night than you think you are seeing!

:)

Thanks Allen

Here is what I found on the SS line of lights for our 2005 Sedans. How hard is it to do the headlight high, headlight low, and fog replacements in our car?

2005 SUBARU Legacy (Sedan)

Low beam headlamp

H7

H7ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: the whitest and brightest Halogen

H7CB Cool Blue Halogen Upgrade: White Hot; Super Cool; 100% Street Legal

H7LL Long Life Halogen: Lasts two and a half times longer

High beam headlamp

9005ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: the whitest and brightest Halogen

9005CB Cool Blue Halogen Upgrade: White Hot; Super Cool; 100% Street Legal

Parking light

3157A

3157AST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style

3157NALL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front turn signal

3157A

Rear turn signal

Tail light

Stop light

High mount stop light

Fog/Driving light

H3-55W

H3ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: the whitest and brightest Halogen

License plate

Back up light

921LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front sidemarker

3157A

Rear sidemarker

Map light

DE3175

Dome light

DE3175

Step/Courtesy light

DE3021

Trunk/Cargo area

thanks for the info! i think i'll try the GE nighthawks since they seem to be relatively "new." guess someone should be the guinea pig, eh? lol. don't need them yet, still daylight til 11pm here. in a month or two, before fall, i'll make sure to install them, then keep a record to see how well they do.

rockford33 [/b]- Consider going with slightly more yellow, or outright very yellow (i.e. Narva Gold, PIAA Ion Crystal) coloration for your fogs.... Our eyes are very sensitive to light in that color spectrum, and you'll actually see better through fog and other inclimate weather as a result. But be careful to not rely on our "fogs" too much, and turn them off when you don't truly need them, as the extra foreground light can cause you to visually "wash out" down-field light, thus actually make you see *worse* at night than you think you are seeing!

:)

I guess I was just thinking that it is nice if the color of the fogs and low beams match, especially since cops can be dicks around here about anything obviously ricey or aftermarket. I do have a hard time in the rain and at night (in inclement weather) seeing road markings clearly. If a more yellow fog would help, I can live with it not matching the color of the headlamps. I actually drive with my fogs on all of the time. Don't know why, just always have when I have had a car with fog lights. Maybe I'll try turning them off the next time I am driving at night and see if I notice a difference. Makes sense that fogs are used for foggy and inclement weather only.

P.S. Legacy05, it appears that Osram does not have H3 Silverstars, but Sylvania does. Wierd. Anyway, the bulb list stickied on this site shows the fogs at 55 watts, Sylvania website shows the H3 Silverstars at 65 watts. Not a big difference, but did you ever have any problems?

Archived