LegacyGT.com

Nut down transmission dipstick tube. .

GTennisrls

Anyone ever drop something down the transmission dipstick tube? I have a 5MT on my 2005 LGT, was removing the heat shield from the downpipe and dropped a nut down the dipstick tube that was open as I had to take it out to fit my ratchet on the nut. To make matters worse, I went after it with a telescoping magnet and the magnet broke off inside. Now I don't dare drive it and am having it towed to the shop. I figure the worse part is the magnet since it won't fall down so I can grab it from the drain plug but is likely stuck against the side. Any suggestions besides having them open up the transmission? I even took a fiber optic scope down the tube too see if I could visualize the magnet from the top but can't see it. . .

5mt's don't have a pan.

The safe way is to remove the tranny and split the cases.

Ask BAC5.2 he may have some thought's.

How big is the magnet ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Pull the drain plug, grab a scope, and see if you can see it. The case is aluminum, so it's likely the magnet latched on to the drain tube itself, or more likely the casting of the front diff. Spin the wheels to rotate the diff and try to spot it. The nut, most likely, is already stuck to the magnetic trans drain plug.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived