LegacyGT.com

Lgt brake ducts opinions

So being as I'm from time attack crew and deciding to mod my wagon, I was sitting on my porch looking at the front of the car figuring ways I can fab up more function than form. Immediately my attention is drawn to the fog lights, mine seem pointless when trying to use the to see with but they are a perfect intake for cold air.............. First thought was intake pick up. After 10-15 min of thought I decided it would pick up road water then I remembered a few days ago raping it in the corners I noticed a slight on set of brake fade. Luckily the fog covers are perfect shape to work as a duct. They are in a wonderful hi pressure zone. Require little mods to attach a duct to the inside of the cover and routing is almost perfect in the area between the plastic panels to blow directly onto the calipers and rotors. I'm actually thinking of making a carbon fiber one to test on my car.

eBay is finally your buddy, I pick up used NASCAR parts all the time and high temp ducting for this very purpose is $60 bucks since they run it on everything. I'm also looking for a naca duct to blend in the hood for cold air pick up. This wagon is changing faces pretty quickly, as I just so happen to have tons of parts from previous race cars laying around like a gt35rle, spearco air to water 750hp intercooler, race mafs, forge recirc, mvr 44 wastegate, gauges, radiators, pumps, and injectors just hanging out. A good buddy of mine is in the process of beginning to build my headers and rotated upper and down pipe. And we are on the literal verge of ordering my block parts...... This car has commuted enough its now time to scare the other dads while dropping my girls off at school. Anyways just curious to see if everyone would like a write up on the brake ducting

I have been racing on a road course that sits at approximately 4000 ft in elevation and have been having brake problems for years. I have melted all the seals on my calipers, developed cracks in my rotors, and melted even performance pads. I've experienced fade after 5 laps with SS lines, DBA 5000 rotors, Carbotech XP10 pads, and Superblue fluid. It doesn't help that I'm putting out quite a bit more power than stock.

I have tried a number of options to keep my brakes cool. My first step was to take off the dust shield on the back of the rotor. I then tried the following guides, and they may have helped, but I can't be totally sure.

Some manufacturer has these for sale. I cant recall who...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-ma-avo-tmic-and-brake-air-guides-182165.html

I also constructed a set-up very similar to this: http://quantummotorsports.com/02-06w...tm#Plate%20Kit

but for much less money. These also may have worked, but similar to the guides, it wasn't enough to make a huge difference. I also had problems destroying the ducting when driving on the street, since this is my DD.

Unfortunately, I still haven't solved the problem, so I'm open to new ideas if people have them.

Road course is my area of focus on 99% of my cars. The problem is diversion plates are usually added but the rest of the aerodynamic picture is not adjusted. For example, the area of intake needs to be a high pressure area. The area of discharge needs to focus on rotor vents. The total wheel well area needs to be adjusted for it to become a low pressure area. Magnehelic gauges can be picked up for cheap and your problem could be solved by placing a canards in front of the wheel well to divert area around it and create a low pressure area inside it and at the rear of the wheel well. Sometimes this is not possible due to limitations in that case move to mechanical improvement with duct fans, they can actually improve air flow 2-3 times at 40mph. They are cheap and can be had from NASCAR brake ducting systems for 20-30 bucks for the entire setup

Archived