LegacyGT.com

Goofy wiring issue with big 3 upgrade

I did the big 3 this Friday.

While working on it I accidentally grounded out the battery to alternator output terminal on the top of the alt against an AC line. It was not connected to the batt just the alt.

The car won't run and most of the electronics don't work if I pull the fuse for the alternator on my big 3. I do competitions and cooked a fuse during a test and tune. Car dies and radio shuts down. I'm out of fuses... Yeah I'm walking.

There is not a bad fuse anywhere on the car. The old alt to batt wiring is still intact and on the alternator terminal where it was stock.

What did I blow up? On top of that... the wiring upgrade did little or nothing to stabilize the voltage. I have the stock alt and an older battery and am drawing up to 100 amps on an AB class PPI amp. I would still have thought it would have done more..

you probably blew a SBF, slow blow fuse, or a fusible link (U-shaped wire things) in the fuse box under the hood.

they are designed to protect the system in just this situation.

i hope that is all there is.

good luck.

Thanks for the advice johnegg.

Had no continuity contact to contact on the fusible link. I luckily was able to repair it so back in business.

I've never seen these at the parts store do you have to get them from the dealer?

This has happened to me before and i blew my fusable link didn't know it was that and took me a week to discover it.

I went to autozone and they had them i had to modify one to accept my connectors (i just used their wiring and it was all good)

when I did my big three upgrade for car audio I just ran 0 gauge from the alt positive to a circuit breaker to the battery and also you might want to change your ground because where mine was originally it was just above the headlight and was such a small panel it was pitiful

edit: yeah I would get a upgraded battery preferably one for car audio I ran another battery in the back helped a whole lot what are you running by the way

Running an old farm store premium battery at the moment. Its all super budget used stuff if you count only the money I spent this year I only have $300 in this.

Kenwood double din touchscreen deck with broken iPod functions pawnshop winning

Scosche battery terminals and blade fuse holders from wally world

Old welding cable that was laying around the farm

Copper terminal ends from farm store

Same RCA cable I've used since my first system in 2002

Precision Power PCX2200 run at too low of an ohm load but with box rise etc getting 900rms of a/b power

Old Kicker 15 L7 box 6 cuft lol... with a double stack plate fiberglassed braced and ported to 47 htz.

2 Image Dynamics IDQv2 and one v1... all dual 8 ohm coils. The v1 just doesn't have a bumped backplate less xmax.

With the big 3 now probably will run consistent low 140s wit less fuse blowing. Used to toast 100a like marshmallows...

show us a pic of the box I also live on a farm its dairy welding cable pretty decent haha better that 8 gauge stuff in I did that with my latest build trusted box rise but it was 0.8 ohms measured so felt pretty safe heres a vid if your interested they were probly running at 900w rms each because of the overrated amp in the video its all messey it was just a test but I'm already thinking of going bigger 12 pioneer 12's in a 6th order if I can fit otherwise just a 4th order [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH-0xkIsru8]2 18's Blaupunkt VPW T-Line - YouTube[/ame]

Nice dude.

Those are some pretty big plans... ever been metered? Never even heard of blaupunkt 18s. In the states their stuff is junk.

I'm thinking about a couple 15s myself and an alt upgrade but with 300 bucks I was running with 2000 dollar systems score wise at the comp I was at. Think I will ghetto bang until I see more blood.

A friend of mine has 6 SSA ZCON 15s in 4th order and 10kw. Is naice.

Intynet sucks photos won't upload will try tomorrow

Archived