LegacyGT.com

Normal Rotational Play for Front Diff?

Derajaman

Hey guys,

I've been wondering if this is normal after having the car on a lift a week or so ago and checking the car over. Video is below:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgsMLLqM9KU]YouTube[/ame]

Is this amount of rotational play normal from one wheel to the other before it engages the gears? Its the same whether I spin the driver or passenger wheel. When done on the rear, it has no play and one wheel will spin the other instantly without any clicking or play.

Details (should be in details on left): 2009 2.5i LTD 4EAT 68k miles

Thanks!

Video is marked as private...

Some level of rotational play (or "slop" as it may seem) when spinning one side of an open differential before the other side spins is perfectly normal. The internal gears have some backlash, which is what will cause the free play. The reason you aren't seeing it on the rear axle is because there is a limited slip back there, which means the two sides are coupled together to some extent, meaning the gear backlash isn't noticable when spinning the axle by hand.

Sorry about that guys, should work now. I figured this would be normal because of it being the front diff and the inner wheel rotation would need to be allowed to go faster than the outer in a turn, but just wanted to make sure. Also, the rear is not a limited slip, still an open as well.

Looks good. Remember you have to to account for all the play between 2 side & 2 spider gears in the carrier, front ring & front input shaft (pinion). Plus the the play in the trans axle & rear diff.

If you ever had all 4 wheels off the ground. You will see the back wheels start to move 1st when spinning the front wheel until play is out of the rear drive line. Sense it take more force to spin 2 rear wheels instead of 1. The force you're applying to one front wheel will start to move the other front wheel.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Archived