LegacyGT.com

how interchangeable is a tcm for 94 Leagacy?

My wife has a 94 Legacy, RHD AWD station wagon. The tcm or transmission computer is out. Cant find a used one anywhere. Cant get all numbers to match up. If we find a tcm from a 94 legacy and the ONLY DIFFERENCE is it is a left hand drivevehicle, the numbers dont match. Found one in west virginia the other day and almost all numbers but 2 were the same

But they advised against trying it. I dont know where else to turn. My wife needs this car running for her job as a mail carrier substitute. The parts guy said I had to match them all right down to the MONTH of manufacture. Are they really that specific? I will post back again as soon as my wife gets home with the part numbers. Thanks so much for any help you can give.

what he said.

you can probably use any TCU, from 90 - 94MY,

EXCEPT i would not use one from a turbo car.

but to simplify your search try............................................... www.car-part.com .

i would sort by both distance and then price.

you may have to search each year separately.

but aside from that,

what is wrong with your car?

what is wrong with your trans?

what is wrong with your TCU?

what makes you thing you need one?

they do not fail often so it is surprising for someone to ask for one on their first post.

tell us about your problem.

we may be able to shed a little more light on the subject.

good luck?

let us help.?

Ok. First ofc I live in Kentucky. We bought this car out of Tennessee. Weve had it a couple of years. It startedacting like either the trasmission was slipping in forwatd but not reverse. Reverse worked great. We took it to our local transmission shop. These people are great. Very well respected. They do work from all around including other states. They know their stuff. They checked everything and told us that this part was what was wrong. We found one with all matching numbers in Louisiana. We bought it. They put it on and it shifted PERFECT.For about an hour. Then Instantly it started messing up the same way

They checked and it had burned out on the circuit board in the same place the forst one did

They spent all day on the phone with a company tracing a possible wiring problem. This company had had numerous documentations of this model Subaru having a problem of ground circuits messing these up. They spent several hours redoing all the ground circuits. So they THINK they have it fixed. No way to know for sure though without chancing another part

And we cant find a match.

We found one with all matching numbers in Louisiana. We bought it. They put it on and it shifted PERFECT.For about an hour.
this is about how long it takes the TCU to ''re-learn'', or in your case ''learn'', how to drive in your car.

since the ''new'' TCU did the same thing as the old one, i do not think it is the TCU.

unless there is a wiring problem that is ''cooking'' the TCU.

and although it is possible, i have never heard of this in the last 8 years i have been online or the last 18 years i have been driving a subaru.

if in fact the TCU is ''charred'' ... i can not help.

the times this happens are so rare it can not be calculated.

especially in a 94.

but .....

if you have bad ground wires on the engine, the chassis or the trans, they can cause all sorts of headaches.

or if you have run the trans with low ATF it could be on the way out.

and it could onlt affect the forward gears, not reverse.

(i had a 95 that lost reverse. all other gears worked perfectly, but no reverse. i drove it for 3 months looking for an auto trans wreck to buy.)

so, before the first symptom appeared:

did you have any service work done?

how long since you had the auto trans fluid changed? miles?

how many miles on the trans?

how many miles on the car?

how many miles have you had the car?

i will not comment on the quality of service you have received from the trans shop because i do not know them.

but , it is really rare for the electronics to screw up one of these cars.

they can have internal solenoids fail which will screw them up, but they would trigger a flashing ''power light'' on the dash at start up.

(or a flashing AT Temp light for 95 - 99 cars.)

i would look for a different cause.

good luck.

Well i am just looking at the nitty gritty. It ran great then started acting as if it was slipping instantly. Just like you flipped a toggle switch. Take box apart and its burned in one spot. Buy new box and no burned spots. Install it and instantly the tranny works flawlessly

.....for an hour. Then instantly again it stops working right. Box is removed and reinspected and its now burned. So yes I feel confident that the box is the problem. So I am trying to find out how interchangeable these boxes are. Like I said the same make model year and all with left hand drive yeilds different numbers than the same except for having right hand drive. It seems crazy.

LHD vs. RHD will not make a difference.

relatively speaking, subaru is a small car company.

as a result, they are a whole lot like leggos, they snap together.

the auto trans in your car is EXACTLY the same as the auto trans in the 93.

it is also the same as the auto trans in the 90 - 92 cars EXCEPT for the final drive ratio in the differential. (electronic are the same.)

it is also the same as the trans in the 95 - 99 legacy L , brighton, and impreza cars EXCEPT the final drive ratio in the differential is different. (electronic are the same.)

not the same as the 96 - 99 outback, GT or LSI trans. the final drive is different. (electronic are the same.)

all of this is a long winded way of saying that your trans will run in any suabru legacy / impreza 90 - 99 car, except the final drive ratio will not match some of them.

so you can probably use a 90 - 99 TCU.

but certainly 90 - 94 non-turbo,

and probably 95 - 98 lego L.

HTH.

but i would look for what is causing the TCU to burn up.

it could be just an old TCU, but i doubt it .

Install it and instantly the tranny works flawlessly

.....for an hour. Then instantly again it stops working right. Box is removed and reinspected and its now burned. So yes I feel confident that the box is the problem.

but i would look for what is causing the TCU to burn up.

it could be just an old TCU, but i doubt it .

this. there is more chance there is something causing the burn up than there is that the box is burning itself up.

Thank you everyone for the help. I appreciate it. On my 4th post in this thread I mentioned what is believed to be the cause and fix to the boxes burning up. Hopefully they are right. UN fortunately buying another box and trying It seems to be the only way to know for sure. Keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Well we ordered another part using the years listed above. It was from a different year car than hours so NONE of the numbers matched. However it works perfectly so far. Lets hope the transmission shop redoing all the grounds did the trick! Thanks!

Archived