LegacyGT.com

Places to buy a DURABLE lock remote/FOB?

What I need is a durable casing, shell, or FOB for my remote, since the plastic piece holding it onto the keychain broke off. Here's a pic of the one I need:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31SqNOT-E7L.jpg

Everywhere I search, I get results for this key FOB:

http://product-images.highwire.com/1714296/2612392.jpg

If you've ever owned a remote like the first one, you already know how frustrating it is and how little options there are. I can get one from a dealer but they would have to import it from somewhere and can't even get me a price for it yet. However, I don't want another plastic OEM one, I'd like something metal or something that will hold the innards of the remote and function, but is a different design.

Anyone got any ideas? Don't say duct tape/wire/super glue/"just use the key" please.

Thanks.

I bet if your crafty enough:

1. Take it apart
  2. Inspect where you could drill a small hole in one of the lower corners
  3. Re-assemble
  4. Drill the hole in the safe, non-electronic place
  5. Grind off the origonal loop (for looks)
  6. Add a small keychain in the hole

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

It's not really a Subaru product.

It's Code Alarm Keyless Remote FCC# GOH-M24.

Subaru, Ford, Mitsubishi and Chrysler cars used the same remote.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

to further that, any alarm shop could find you replacements for it. my friends shop has a few of them laying around. my dodge code alarm has the same style FOBs and they have lasted since 2006 when i bought it.

I made the mistake of re-purchasing the original (first one in your post) and it barely lasted two years before falling apart again. Clearly the engineers that designed the car were not the same ones that designed the fob...

Yeah I don't want another plastic one unless it's in perfect shape. My keys get thrown around a lot so I was wondering if anyone had seen a remake of the same fob with a metal material instead of plastic.

If you want a body to an old one I have a couple laying around.

What shape are they in and how much would you want for one? I live in 80538 in case you want to figure shipping in there too.

It's not really a Subaru product.

It's Code Alarm Keyless Remote FCC# GOH-M24.

Subaru, Ford, Mitsubishi and Chrysler cars used the same remote.

Thanks for the info! I'll look around and try to find a metal one or something. haha

to further that, any alarm shop could find you replacements for it. my friends shop has a few of them laying around. my dodge code alarm has the same style FOBs and they have lasted since 2006 when i bought it.

I don't really want to pay that kind of money for one... The alarm shop I talked to just told me to go to a scrap yard. Maybe they didn't want to mess with it or maybe the price was so high they knew I wouldn't go for it, but regardless I want to avoid that route if at all possible.

What shape are they in and how much would you want for one? I live in 80538 in case you want to figure shipping in there too.

I'd be careful of what metal it's made of, it could mess up your key or something after a while of riding around.

I'd say that they are in expected condition for being like 15 years old. PM me your address and I'll fling one out to you at some point this week.

Yeah I don't want another plastic one unless it's in perfect shape. My keys get thrown around a lot so I was wondering if anyone had seen a remake of the same fob with a metal material instead of plastic.

Perfect shape won't help. This replacement was brand new, ordered from the dealership. Completely fell apart in two years. I don't treat my keys rough, but they do, you know, go in and out of my pocket and get tossed on the table occasionally.

I'd be careful of what metal it's made of, it could mess up your key or something after a while of riding around.

I'd say that they are in expected condition for being like 15 years old. PM me your address and I'll fling one out to you at some point this week.

Done! Thanks man!

Archived