LegacyGT.com

Power steering fluid capacity

Does anyone know how many ounces of power steering fluid our cars hold? I'm flushing my system, and I just drained off approximately 16 ounces each time then ran the car and steered the wheels end to end a few times. I did this 3 times so I have about 48 ounces of a mixture of the old and new fluid (both are red so it's hard to tell how much is old and how much is new). I'm just curious about what % of the whole system capacity was the 16 ounces I drained out each time.

Monkey, it can damage almost anything in the system from the seals and premature pump and rack failures. The lines won't be effected at all. I forgot to mentioned these. LOL

I have had cars at the shop that came in with PS issues and ones that wouldn't normally have pumps or racks fail and when I drained the system I could easily tell ATM fluid wasn't used. Especially with Honda's, they take a special fluid and I only recommend using Honda's fluid. They have great reliable PS systems and for them to fail of have leaks it's usually from running normal power steering fluid. The two fluids are different and for one PS fluid is thicker so in colder weather it strains the pump and rack to push the fluid through. The worst thing to use is that stop leak, it way too thick for systems and it will more than likely cause your components to fail quicker.

Almost every Japanese and European vehicles use a ATM or special fluids.

I used a Dexron 3 compatible fluid. Of our 5 cars, it looks like the Subaru, the 2 Toyotas's and my old Nissan truck all use Dexron . It's only the Honda Accord that has to use Honda geniune power steering (and Honda transmission fluid).

Archived