LegacyGT.com

E-brake intermittently registering as up... anyone seen this?

• I Donated

So today I was driving along, minding my own business, when the car said the emergency brake was up on the trip computer (it beeps and displays a graphic on 07-09s if you have the emergency brake up while moving -- I guess for the 5EAT guys so that they don't drive with the e-brake on). It flashed up momentarily at first, then a few miles down the road it started flashing more often. It now does it whenever I shift, go over a bump, brake, etc. The BRAKE light on the dash comes on at the same time.

I tried the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Tried unplugging the connector from the e-brake sensor/switch. I checked and this is supposed to make the car think the e-brake is down at all times, even when it is up. Problem still occurred.

2. Checked the brake fluid reservoir. It's at the full line.

3. Took off the shifter trim and tugged on the wire going to the e-brake switch. It fixed the problem for a little while, then it started occurring again.

4. Took apart the dash and checked the harness for places it might be shorting out. Couldn't find any before the harness disappeared behind the HVAC stuff near the firewall.

Any other ideas of what to check?

• I Donated
Isn't the eBrake switch replaceable? Seems to me that's the problem.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

See the OP:

I tried the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Tried unplugging the connector from the e-brake sensor/switch. I checked and this is supposed to make the car think the e-brake is down at all times, even when it is up. Problem still occurred.

So even with the e-brake switch completely out of the equation, it was occurring.

Tugging on the wires a bunch while troubleshooting seems to have fixed it temporarily, but I have a feeling it will be back, so further suggestions would still be appreciated.

Archived