LegacyGT.com

I was thinking up some ideas for a homebrew header

I've been thinking about the idea and trying to figure out what just seems so dumb under the suburu legacy's whats with all the bends right out of the engine.. the cat converter is a 90 degree bend and one of the primarys off the manifold does a complete 180!!! the borla replicas do fix that 180 but the cat still does a complete 90, wouldnt it be better more straightened out?? like take 2 pass side manifolds and have the drivers side wrap around the front like the borla(except borla's wrap the pass side around front) then have them both go straight back into a straight converter with o2's welded on then into the rest of the exhaust system, or even make a header like the borla with individual primaries going in the same direction but all straight back

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r288/phat87mazdarx7/exhaustidea.jpg

If it's worth the price to you... If 5 WHP over a UEL at the absolute most is... A SpeedyRacer UEL header is only $130 and there are very noticeable gains. There are a few EL header/high flow cat pipes out there that are designed for complete optimal flow, but they're expensive. So, see how cost effective it is for you to fit a custom setup and weigh it out.

yeah on these slow motors, its pretty pointless to be spending so much time and energy squeezing out minuscule gains...

plus those lines are a whole lot thinner than a header would be, youre most likely going to start running into things

and +1 for the Speedyracer UELs , much, much better than Borlas

^ 100% Agree!

You could just do a dual side pipe exit right behind the front tires. LOL. Actually it would probably hurt the power as there wouldn't be any back pressure. Anything over the cost of those UEL headers is a waste of money. It's not like a LS1 engine that you'll get nice gains just from headers.

Where is this speedy racer header you guys are talking about..I have heard the name before but can't find anything...if I had a mandrel or even some access to one I would fit my own, I have seen some that are pieced together but that hardly seems worth or with the 304 or 307 stainless with all the deflection.

^ 100% Agree!

You could just do a dual side pipe exit right behind the front tires. LOL. Actually it would probably hurt the power as there wouldn't be any back pressure. Anything over the cost of those UEL headers is a waste of money. It's not like a LS1 engine that you'll get nice gains just from headers.

Agreed 100%

Plus, the sound you get from the UEL's is priceless. And for only $130 is extremely good value.

Where is this speedy racer header you guys are talking about..I have heard the name before but can't find anything...if I had a mandrel or even some access to one I would fit my own, I have seen some that are pieced together but that hardly seems worth or with the 304 or 307 stainless with all the deflection.

Ask, and you shall receive...

http://www.speedyracer.com/exhaust-parts/headers/1999-2005-SUBARU-IMPREZA-25L-RS-SOHC-HEADER-STAINLESS

I've run UEL headers and miss them on my frankenmotor. I currently run the OBX EL Header on mine. Hate the sound....I do notices a lot more response in the mid range and more top end.

But now I am wanting to trade someone local for a UEL header. I just miss the sound.

Archived