LegacyGT.com

odd cylinder 3 misfire

ok , this all started sun night .. car sat for about 6 hrs ..

got into start it ran rough as hell ... let it go cel came on

i scanned it came up cyl 3 misfire .. im like wtf .. cleared it .. restarted her, same shit ..

so i figured id make my way home slowly ( was only 5 miles away )

was takin it easy but this dude cut me off .. so i gave it some gas ( about 2500 rpm )

and it lvled out like the miss was never there, ran smooth as silk all the way home

next morning no issue to and from work ..

that night was on 95 going to the art museum to hangout with fellow subbie peeps .. and code is back

i pull off 95 go to make a u turn .. and code is gone ... errrr wth ..

today was good ...

now i have new plugs, buying just redone injectors off my buddy ( he went top feed )

from what ive looked up and seen i think im on the right path ...

car has 57k miles , old man owned it before me so i doubt it ever seen boost lol ... had 51k when i bought it 9 months ago.

im holding boost fine ... no oil burnage ( thats abnormal ) pcv system is fine no sludge or oil in it

im going to switch out the coil packs when i do the plugs and see if it follows.. but other then that .. anything else i should be looking for .

any inpt would be greatly appreciated .

thanks all

just started on this fillup .. i filled up sat problem started sun around 5

and the misfire is so random sometime i drive 40 min to a hr and nothing other times happens so as its warmed up very odd

and when i jump on the gas its gone

bad gas maybe ? im at a half tank maybe ill top off at a diff station today and see

my buddie has software and a cable .. just been so damn hot here i cant even sit in the car for more then 10 min .. with the heat index today is 102 ..

guess ill get a new pack just to make sure when i do the plugs ill change it up

now after work today it instantly started with a misfire ... cleared it , came back ...drove 2 blocks and it ran fine .. guess im going to replace the pack, injector and all the plugs shortly

if it runs fine tomm ill drive it ... its my dialy and have to get my kid from summer camp so not much choice in the matter really .. if it pops a code i have my scanner ill clear it

and i work 5 blocks from my house so if i have to ill walk to work and back then get my kid

I've been having what I think is a similar issue. When I am accelerating slowly it feels like the car hesitates. It pulsates and the MPG gauge goes back and forth like a windshield wiper. When I push it or keep the RPMs above 3k it doesn't do the hesitation. I'm thinking its my spark plugs. I ordered them from Amazon and plan on putting them in tomorrow.

if it runs fine tomm ill drive it ... its my dialy and have to get my kid from summer camp so not much choice in the matter really .. if it pops a code i have my scanner ill clear it

and i work 5 blocks from my house so if i have to ill walk to work and back then get my kid

Keep in mind clearing the code does NOTHING to resolve the problem.

Best case, it's very minor and no long term problem, and worse case you're on the path to a major motor failure.

I've got a kid, dog, lady, and I wouldn't risk a $5-6k motor build for connivance. Drop the $70 and get the shop to have a rental car for you for a few days while they inspect. Or better yet get to a shop that works saturday.

I'm surprised you're willing to drive around with a consistent CEL.

issue fixed ... my plugs where in bad shape ... number 3 plug. was cracked all the way from the top of the plug to the socket part on the white ceramic part ..

i replaced the pack anyway as i bought a new one just incase so ... issue resolved

and for the record it wasnt a constant cel light

np at all ...

now this is a update on what happened

car ran good for a few days with the new plugs . still i could kinda hear a miss every now and again ..

after 2 days or so . i got the code again .. im like wtf ...i cleared it it was fine for 3 more days.

i go out lastnight . cold start . pop the code again ..clear ir it ran fine all the way home .once warm (kinda still hearing the miss though )

i got a compression and leak down test done (buddy of mine did it ) free of charge

all the results come back good .

so i get a injector from glanzman subbie ... 140 bucks ... ripoff bastards..lol

i replaced the pack , all the plugs , this was the only thing left.or to rule out..

put the injector in .. start her up... runs like a kitten....

this miss i was slightly hearing is now gone .. and it was a cold start . ran like it should ..

i sprayed every line and gasket with brake cleaner the idle never once changed .. wasted 2 cans just to make sure ..

odd how 1 injector could go like that .. makes no sense to me .. every car i ever owned never once had a injector fail so randomly

prob could have saved myself 80 bucks on the pack if i would have switched 3 to 1 and seen if it followed..

but least now i know its all new so

just wanted to update what happened

• 2 weeks later...

I would bet that it will show up again. It will be the coil pack on #3 cylinder and the issue is bad contact between the plug into the coil pack and the coil pack. Take needle nose pliers and slightly twist the three pins inside of the coil pack so that they will make better contact and your misfire issue should go completely away.

I did this with all 4 coil packs after chasing a misfire for about a week. I've had not a single issue with the misfire again in 4 months since.

Archived