LegacyGT.com

General Legacy Issues

Legacy1717

Hello everyone! I am new on the forum and I am in the market for a new car. There are many cars on my list, but the Legacy seems to fit every one of my criterion. That being said, I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a general list of the issues that most Lagacys face, as well as what I might be in for as far as gerneral cost of maintenance and replacement parts (basically is is fairly cheap to own?) Thank you for your help! I look forward to reading your responses soon!

It depends on the generation of legacy you are trying to purchase (first generation through the current fifth generation) and even as specific as model year as well. Each generation of car, any car not just Legacies, have specific quirks to look out for. Give us some more information about what you're shopping for and you'll get some responses. This place has a ton of knowledge. You can do some self research as well by going to the generation-specific sub forum and poking around. Hope this helps.

It depends on the generation of legacy you are trying to purchase (first generation through the current fifth generation) and even as specific as model year as well. Each generation of car, any car not just Legacies, have specific quirks to look out for. Give us some more information about what you're shopping for and you'll get some responses. This place has a ton of knowledge. You can do some self research as well by going to the generation-specific sub forum and poking around. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply! I am looking for a fourth or fifth generation Legacy. Something with reasonably low miles around the $13,000 range. I am also looking for a manual. Would you be able to give me anything to beware of with these generations? I really appreciate your help!

As far as 4th gens go:

LCA bushings

Wheel bearings

Power Window Switch, drivers esp.

Radiators blowing end caps of late

Exterior door handle failure, sometimes interior with it

Depending on trim, headunit and Climate control units being one.

Floor mat retention hook failure, lol.

Just look through the stickies in each section, that will give you a good idea. Those are some common ones though.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Oh and if your looking for a Manual, go for a 08-09, before they "upgraded" to the 6spd. I've read several posts where owners disliked the gear ratios and drivability of the base 10+ 6spd. YMMV.

Oh and if your looking for a Manual, go for a 08-09, before they "upgraded" to the 6spd. I've read several posts where owners disliked the gear ratios and drivability of the base 10+ 6spd. YMMV.

Thanks for the info! I will look out for those issues. As far as reliability is concerned, I have always been under the impression that Subarus were pretty reliable. Is this true for the Legacy? How many miles should I expect an 08-09 to last with regular maintenance?

There is nothing wrong with a 5th gen 6 speed. It's a little bit notchier than the used 4th gen 5 speed I test drove vs a brand new 6mt. I dint have any problem with ratios, maybe the gearing and shift throw length isnt ideal for drag racing. The 6th gear is nice to have on the highway with the rpm's being noticeably lower. My car is just under 2500 at 65. The 4th gen test drive were up around 3000 rpm.

The big issue with 5th gen is that some 2010 have a highway shimmy issue. The 5th gen is a bigger car with more interior room , much bigger back seat, better back seat head room, much bigger trunk and basically weights the same as the smaller 4th gen. It has practically the same 2.5i engine thru '12 but gets better real world mpg because of the transmissions (cvt & 6mt).

for the 5th gen, i think the problem is with the shifter feel along with the fact that the stock tune leaves much to be desired. Mine is stock, but people are generally saying that an upgrade to extra-s shifter fluid and some shifter bushings (or the STI short shifter) along with a stage I e-tune or protune really livens up the car. Having 6th gear is great for highway and open backroad cruising.

Complaints I had read were city and traffic, where folks had commented on another board.

For many years, Subaru has made the 6spd transmission the "upscale" "better built" option. Like in the SpecB or STi variants. That's not the case as I understand it with the 5th gen 6spd. Yes, it was primarily designed to bump fuel economy. It does that as far as I know. Most of the comments I read were from previous non-Subaru owners. Maybe going from a 4th gen to a 5th gen, it feels "acceptable"? Coming from a car that shifts and has good gear ratios by another maker, maybe not? Us longtime subaru owners have put up with the subaru-feel manual for so long, we don't see the shortcoming sometimes. 'Drop the frog in boiling water' and all that.

YMMV. I personally don't care for the styling of the 5th gens. Only newer Subaru that interests me now is the BRZ, and it has a toyota/lexus tranny...

YMMV. I personally don't care for the styling of the 5th gens. Only newer Subaru that interests me now is the BRZ, and it has a toyota/lexus tranny...

Yeah, I agree with you here. This is why I am primarily looking at 4th gen Legends. I am just trying to figure out if they are reliable and will not turn up with major issues that will cause me thousands.

• 3 weeks later...
As far as 4th gens go:

LCA bushings

Wheel bearings

Power Window Switch, drivers esp.

Radiators blowing end caps of late

Exterior door handle failure, sometimes interior with it

Depending on trim, headunit and Climate control units being one.

Floor mat retention hook failure, lol.

Just look through the stickies in each section, that will give you a good idea. Those are some common ones though.

The truth with the floor mat!!! Haha

Archived