LegacyGT.com

Anyone gone from LGT to Evo X?

I used to own an 08 Evo MR and loved every minute of it! The thing i didnt love was the maintenance and the fear of if anything did go wrong, your wallet will get raped. I did my 30k service and it ran me just over $800. The thing about the evo is deciding whether you want an auto or manual (6spd vs 5spd) That twin clutch tranny on the MR is amazing, very street friendly but when you put it in to SuperSport mode it becomes a whole different animal. Honestly performance wise, you get the best of all worlds with the evo for the price, Turbo 4, wicked AWD system, and shifts so quick you giggle every time. Now back to the reliability part, yeah the engine is pretty reliable but not as reliable as it was in the Evo 8's & 9's. I recently saw an Evo X pass the 900HP barrier but they haven't been able to pass the 1000HP like they have in the previous gens. And seems guys that did build the engines would end up spending $30k+ only to have it last a few thousand miles and then something going terribly wrong. Anything past stage 2 and your asking for failure basically. Another thing about performance was most guys that decided to up grade, thats if they did and could afford it, would go with a GTR. That speaks a lot for the Evo X.

This summarizes my knowledge of the EVO X.

I worked to mitsubishi as a tech for a long time and the old evo's with the 4g63 engines are much tougher then the new engines. Stock 4g63 engines with just arp headbolts have been proven to take over 400 awhp. Very tough and well built engines but like everyone said they are expensive to fix and can have a personality of there own. Not to mention the crankwalk issues on the 4g63 engines. I had two talons one front wheel and one all wheel and were a ton of fun but got rid of them for the legacy gt because of the comfort driving the legacy everyday and also having room for my kids car seats.

You just compared the LGT's reliability to Honda's. Honda doesn't make the Evo.

You should look into the Evo's, fact is they're really shitty cars for long term ownership. The reliability is horrible. Don't take my word for it though, go research it.

My neighbor had an evo 8 with an FP green and the car was almost always broken lol

All about the quality of parts and install. Do it right do it once.

Of course the more stuff you replace/upgrade the more things there are to go wrong.

The MR trans seems to be much weaker than the 5 speed. Also seems the 08 MY Evos had more issues than the newer ones which is quite common for a first year model to have many more issues. I'd never buy a first year model of any car personally.

I think I'll be keeping the LGT and changing my s2000 out for an LS3 or z06 or a lotus elise or Exige.

Do like the legacys comfort quite a bit and power is enough for a daily I think. Little more up too would be nice so might get an evo16g or an 18g turbo and see how that is.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

Completely agree about the more you upgrade the more things fail. More power equals more breaking of parts. One thing would never wish on anybody is to replace a clutch in a evo 8. One of the worst clutch installs ever. Love to find the engineer that designed the engine bay lay out and let him show me how to do it.

The MR trans seems to be much weaker than the 5 speed. A

Eh, I would beg to differ. SSP makes clutch packs for the MR to hold some serious power for serious money though. SSP is awesome for anything Evo X. Also, some guys were starting to really get the trans ECU tuning down and were doing some crazy things with it, super fast shift times and stuff.

I think its more like a 5spd is easier to fix lol

Hmm I've been surfing evo forums a bit and seems general consensus is the 5 speed can handle a lot more power over all compared to the sst trans. Maybe they beefed it up recently idk. It was the same way on previous evo models.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

You just compared the LGT's reliability to Honda's. Honda doesn't make the Evo.

You should look into the Evo's, fact is they're really shitty cars for long term ownership. The reliability is horrible. Don't take my word for it though, go research it.

Why would you say that? I am used to and learned to drive on the turbo charged Lancers platforms from the 80's, the original GSR's and the predecessor to the EVO, and the 4g63 engine has always been a beast. I don't know much about this new 4B11, but I've heard pretty good things.

The Galant (VR4) was first used to race in the rallies, but the Lancer had the 4G63, in my home country and Japan at least. Lancers used the Sirus engines whereas the galants predominantly used the Astron and Saturn, IIRC. SOme models, after '96, started using the 4G63.

Why would you say that? I am used to and learned to drive on the turbo charged Lancers platforms from the 80's, the original GSR's and the predecessor to the EVO, and the 4g63 engine has always been a beast. I don't know much about this new 4B11, but I've heard pretty good things.

Everyone is focusing on the motor here, look at all the other things that go wrong in a car. The EVO reliability is just not there, especially if you start modifying it.

More to the point, but no large sample size. A local owner, when I lived in the bay, had an EVO running e85 and highly modified. He said to me that in short the car was a blast to drive, when it was fully working, but in fact was always needing something done. Every time he got on it, he was afraid it would fail, somewhere or some how. It was always in and out of the shop.

If you guys are looking to build AWD beasts, sure buy anything you want, gut it and dump money into it. Cars like that are expected to fail regularly. Race motors are only expected to get 600-1000 miles, not 100k. Every time you up the power, a new weak link in the system is discovered. Nevermind the fact the pure build quality of an EVO is bad, does GM do it better? They might.

If you're looking for high HP AWD daily sedans, you don't pick a car like the EVO. Reliability is a factor here. Unfortunately you're probably looking for an STI or BMW. Both in my books suffer from a set of problems that make them costly to own.

I think your reading too many "friends friend" type stories about the evo. It can handle 100k miles easily with 400+whp. Been done countless times.

Interior may seem a little cheap. Less so on the X but besides that it is a super solid car with incredible reliability especially for a stock boosted car. I think you need to read more up on them not go by your buddies car he probably did poor mods too.

Of course once modded heavily if not done right it will have issues.

Sti's are pretty nice but really in another performance league from the evo. Stock power is similar but once modded the evo destroys it in every possibly performance catagory.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Hmmm... I think when you buy an Evo, STi, etc etc and plan to modify them, you know they're going to fail. It's all about how easy it is to put together that makes a difference. I bought my OB because of the commonality of the parts with other Subaru models which equals both an ease of modifying and ease of finding spare parts.

The build quality, however, makes me laugh sometimes. My '03 M45 is light years ahead of this car. Still love it though.

-Brandon

2007 Chevrolet Suburban LT3

1981 Chevrolet C10 LWB

I think I have good luck with cars.... or maybe I just fix things early when I think there is an issue. I've been die hard Mitsu since I moved to the states 10+ years ago because I always wanted a talon.. my first car being a Dodge Colt GT.. which is in fact the same as a mirage GT. I've owned and worked on several off the 4g63 variants. My last car being an 03 Evo8. I would say it was just as reliable as any car. The Evo8 I kept it mild.. somewhere around 320awhp (in comparison stock on that dyno was 230awd which is about a stage2 LGT coincidentally).

It's fun.. it's powerful, it's easy to mod. Handling etc is far better than the LGT. Interior comfort.. well actually the Recaros are a really comfy ride.. but, no power seats, no heated seats.

Interior noise.. a lot more rattles and bangs.. just less sound deadening. The HVAC console etc.. pretty plane jane.. although you could upgrade the stereo (one thing I dislike about the LGT.. looks cool, but you're stuck with it since it's all integrated). Trunk space... the LGT is minimally bigger... ie I had trouble putting the baby stroller in the evo, unless it was going diagonal. I can put it straight in my LGT.

My neighbor had the X.. the interior.. MUCH better/quieter. Space... still the same. Engine.. he also did not go too wild, but it certainly isn't as nice as the 4G63. Still, you could gain a lot of power, handling is always there. If you had .. $15K to throw around I would get an 8 or a 9 and you'd have a monster road car that is fun. If you wanted newer, probably around $20K

For a daily I definitely would only want the newer evo x. If I decided to get it I would probably spend 25-30k to get a nice super low mileage certified one.

I'm leaning further and further to keeping the legacy and getting an LS3 corvette or z06 if I save up a few more pennies by buying time.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Archived