LegacyGT.com

Please help with this Learning View

carrata

I live at sea level in vancouver, BC and almost exclusively run shell 91 octane, which has no ethanol here.

Shamar did set the IAM default at .75

Still getting lots of knock at and idle and low load. Is that normal? I just came from a very short city drive (stop lights and such) and had a knock sum of 16. Does that affect the IAM somehow over time?

Thanks so much for all the help!

No problem. I personally do not log knock sum (make sure nothing else is loose in the engine bay), because of false knock. ( I use FBKC and FLKC). Pulling timing can lower your IAM, but that won't happen idling. I am a bit surprised the -4.22 FBKC segment didn't drop your IAM a bit. I would watch your WOT sections. Keep an eye on that more so than your idle knock sum.

Is that why I thought I heard the 'marbles' sound during the WOT event? What ranges are considered safe for FBCK? If the effect is pulled timing, what is the cause? Failing internals?

I'm still learning the concepts and do appreciate the help and advice.

Your car will pull about -1.41 degrees of timing (FBKC), for each knock "event". At -4.22 it's pulling for 3 knock "events" at that given RPM and load range. That's higher than I would want for WOT. The FLKC is what shows up on your learning view in red. Basically, it is pulling timing (amount in red) every time your hit that load/RPM range. It can adjust and fix itself overtime. Your last LV looked clean.

Again, if you had bad fuel, it will cause your car to pull timing. Keep logging. If it doesn't go away, your map may need an adjustment to lower the timing advancement, preventing the knock from occurring. Keep the logs coming and hopefully it was just bad fuel.

Traveling this week for work and wanted to get another log up before leaving town.

Went for another drive today, this time with some highway and hills. My IAM dropped down to .5625 again. I did notice the FBCK and FLCK.

Should I continue to drive and see if the IAM comes back up? I'm hesitant to believe that it was bad gas, but am still hopeful that it was.

romraiderlog_20130714_164435-1.csv

1679358463_LearningView_SS_A2UG000L_2013-07-14194823.jpg.182f3be220993fdb3656a1503c012373.jpg

Something's gotta be loose. I'm glad you caught the IAM drop on your log, but nothing really stands out to me except that the area that you generally seem to be "knocking" allegedly is around 2700-2800 RPM with between 22-26% throttle. That makes me think something is setting off your knock sensor that might be vibrating there...

I'm assuming that the tune is done correctly by Infamous, of course, and I don't doubt it is. The fact that your IAM dropped already and you're STILL allegedly knocking in the same area indicates to me it's something else. Depending on how Infamous has his dynamic advance table set up, the IAM drop could be pulling anywhere between 1.5-4* of timing already.

Here are your knock events isolated into one log file.

You could pull another several degrees of timing from that entire region to see what happens (if you know how to edit your tables) and then flash it and see what happens. If pulling the timing doesn't do a thing, well, then it's probably not real knock.

carrata-knock.csv

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update this post and provide some closure.

Did a boost leak and compression test. Cyl 1,2,3 @ 140 psi and cyl 4 @ 135 psi, no leaks.

Knock was still being detected across the board and at random rpm's. 311Logan311 suggested a look at the knock sensor. Once I got to it that's when I noticed a pebble, the size of small coffee bean, sitting in the depression where the knock sensor is bolted. It was probably rattling around in that depression, but it was completely inaudible to the ear when the engine was running.

The random knock events are gone (still the occasional knock at idle and throttle-off) and the IAM is steady at 1.

So I wanted to thank all of you in the community that were so kind to offer advice and time. This is a great forum.

A other update:

While I do believe the pebble was contributing to the random knock at various RPM's, I'm thinking I still have an issue. Took this LV on Monday and did a bit more logging. The KS is still detecting 'knock' (in quotes cause I don't know if it's real or not) while on the throttle.

This is with 94 octane on the tune for 91. My rough idle has reappeared too - getting hits on the roughness monitor on all cylinders during stationary warm up (plus lots of no-load knock).

I'm thinking of changing the plugs next and maybe the PCV's. Something still isn't right.

108552027_LearningView_SS_A2UG000L_2013-08-05174815.jpg.7c78d3b8c05010f31f7e2c57bddd587a.jpg

romraiderlog_20130805_165405 (edited).csv

I'm not too familiar with the roughness monitor thing, but I would not be too concerned with counts of knock that are not accompanied by FBKC or FLKC or an IAM drop. Your logs look fine, and your IAM is fine. Your AFR trims are fine too. The bit of knock you have high up top is typical knock, not a huge amount at only -1.40, and it appears that it's pretty hot out based on your IAT so that's not bad.

I didn't see your per cylinder roughness in the log. Log that to see your misfire count per cylinder. Hopefully it's just needing new plugs. Are you back to using your stage 1 map?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Archived