LegacyGT.com

5th Gear Pop Out - Troubleshoot Path?

Quick background:

2005 GT Wagon 5 Speed - Approaching 150k

Went Stage 2 with Cobb OTS approximately 5k miles ago

Noticed "creaking" and a bit of slip a few weeks ago on the 1-2 shift above 5k RPM.

On a two hour road trip last week, when coming off of the accelerator, the car would pop out of 5th gear and into neutral regularly. I could slip it back in with a little clutch work and rev matching and so long as I kept steady load on it, it would stay in gear. No other gears seemed to be effected at the time.

The first thought that occurred to me were either motor or tranny mounts due to the amount of shifter movement that was happening. It was almost comical how much it would move based on where the gas pedal was.

The next morning, when trying to move it, it would no longer go into Reverse, 5th, 3rd or 4th, but 1st and 2nd seem okay. As I started to roll the car backwards, it would go into reverse.

I'm figuring I have a shot clutch, that sneaky 5th gear bolt has unstaked itself and backed off a little or I've grenaded the transmission altogether.

I've never done a clutch before. I've done timing belts and valve adjustments on a range of vehicles from SUVs to sportbikes, so I'm confident I could do a clutch job on the Leggy or pull the transmission to be serviced in a worst case scenario.

What "path" should I walk down to begin troubleshooting and pinpointing exactly what the culprit is? Tranny fluid drain to check for metal? Just start ripping stuff apart to separate the case from the block to see what the clutch looks like?

Any input is appreciated! Thanks guys!

Where do you live ? My wagons tranny is in my tranny guy's basement as we speek.

Had to order one more bearing I forgot.

BAC5.2 is the tranny expert on here, PM him.

You'll want a single mass FW from a 07-09 Legacy GT and clutch of choice.

I'm one of the few that have good luck with Spec Clutches, I love my Spec 2 clutch in my wagon.

While the tranny's out, grease the shaft on the starter, they hang up when it cold.

Buy the parts from one of the vendors on here or if your on the east coast, Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls.com or west coast Mike at http://www.infamousperformance.net.

These guy's help out on here for free, so support them. You can't beat thier customer service.

Go to the top of the very first forum, look in the stickys for the "opposed forces" link, yo find the tranny break down in there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you pull the tranny, make sure the clutch fork is on the pivot ball before you bolt the tranny up. Mine dropped off and I had to slide the tranny back to put it back on.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 5 months later...

Archived