LegacyGT.com

A/C and a high idle from motor.

We'll this all started when I took my BD into a shop for a new starter. It came back with this strange high idle when is turn on the A/C. Say, 1,100 for the A/C to be one. One week later I start to get this squeal from the A/C belt. I then go down to VatoZone and buy a new A/C belt and when I try to change it I find that the lower belt tensioner on my EJ25D motor is broken! The one screw holding the pulley in place on the bracket is gone and the pulley is holding on at an angle. As a direct result of my trying to operate the A/C with the pulley off the belt tensioner (unbeknownst to me) the belt literally eats the metal on the belt tensioner and cuts a linear hole in the timing belt cover. I then go to a pick and pull to get a new tensioner off of a 99' 5MT wagon and try to repair the damage with a new belt and tensioner. A/C works now but this strange over-idle remained when the belt kicks in the compressor? Did I do somethiń wrong on the install of the tensioner? The motor has never done this before. And I'm a noob at the EJ25D and it's quarks. John egg? Anyone?

Check the diameter of the tensioners side by side is really all I got, if the diameter is off (smaller in my thinking) of the belt is damaging the pulley it could over work the rotation. Along the lines of an under driven crank pulley but the opposite effect, overdriven I guess.

The starter issue sounds weird and unlikely because its a pretty straightforward r+I, unless a wire end is visible or wire insulation is damaged and there's some arc-ing. Just some wild guessing Texas.

^this is because my brain in over-active and I just rebuilt a starter after a cryo-treatmemt on the gears and windings..you don't have an issue with your starter anymore right?

A/c in these cars from my experience is horrible, gas wise and power wise. The only knock I have ever had about my 2nd gen Subaru is the Accessories on the motor. My civic was pulling 13 Sec. Quarters with the a/c on full blast, my wagon on the other hand wasnt too bad but its a 5speed. With my sedan I could be on the freeway @ 60mph and when the a/c was turned on I could feel the nose of the car drop slightly.

Archived