LegacyGT.com

Best Aftermarket Turbo

I need to get recommendations on the best aftermarket turbo for a 2006 Outback. Will also need new hoses and gaskets. Do you recommend replacing the OCV's and Up-Pipe? I'm not looking to turn it into a rally car, but am not against some performance boost. It's my wife's car. Any help and advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Jason

I'm in the same situation. Look at my thread. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/so-need-new-turboi-209841.html

I try my best to weigh the possible options. I would recommend looking at either a vf52 or the bnr 16g. I would get a catless up-pipe to prevent the old one falling apart and destroying your new turbo and I would get either a catless down pipe or a high flow catted down pipe. This will be a nice upgrade will still being reliable. As for the OCV's I don't know I'm trying to figure out if I should replace those too.

You must be new here....Oh yea, I see this was your first post. :)

Most of us recommend a BNR16g or a vf52.

You will need a tune, but that's a good thing.

Get a oil return hose, I use bolts to replace the studs in the up pipe.

You should get a catless up pipe, a stock STI pipe is like $75.00 I read here earlier today.

You'll need to do the 2.2k ohm resistor from radio shack to do away with the CEL for the EGT probe being gone, or the Tune will clear that code forever too.

Most replace the down pipe at the same time.

Read the stickys at the tops of the forums here, you can learn a lot.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You must be new here....Oh yea, I see this was your first post. :)

Most of us recommend a BNR16g or a vf52.

You will need a tune, but that's a good thing.

Get a oil return hose, I use bolts to replace the studs in the up pipe.

You should get a catless up pipe, a stock STI pipe is like $75.00 I read here earlier today.

You'll need to do the 2.2k ohm resistor from radio shack to do away with the CEL for the EGT probe being gone, or the Tune will clear that code forever too.

Most replace the down pipe at the same time.

Read the stickys at the tops of the forums here, you can learn a lot.

This guy knows what's up.

I'm still running the original OCV's in my wagon.

I used to flush the oil system (Gunk motor flush) once twice a year back in the first 154,000 miles on dino oil.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

What does a tune entail? I've read it's not required with an sti up-pipe. Is this true? Also, are banjo bolts an issue with the BNR16G or VF52. I also haven't been able to find the OCV's anywhere other than subaru. Anyone else sell them? Any recommendations on the oil lines? Thanks again.

The new turbos will increase the amount of boost your car makes. More boost = more air. A tune will compensate for that by "tuning" the air/gas mixture. A tune isn't required with the sti up-pipe because the difference that up-pipe will max is minimal so the ecu will compensate for it automatically. Most people up grade their oil lines so the banjo bolts aren't an issue. I would look at the Infamous Performance Oil supply line I believe It eliminates the banjo bolt problem (If your car has them).

m sprank will also have OCV's, he's the link in the above post.

In fact he's pretty close to where you live. Mike is someone your going to want to get to know. He is one of the "go to guy's" here.

Buy your parts from him when you can, support those the help out here for free.

Archived