LegacyGT.com

New engines coming?

I was at my dealer today to get my windshield changed and the service manager told me about the following engines coming out in the next 1-2 years:

a 280 HP version of the Legacy 2.5L Turbo

a 310 HP version of the NA H6 for the Outback and the B9 (second year)

a 365 HP version of the 2.5L Turbo for the STi.

Can't verify any of these, but he's generally quite knowledgeable.

Subaru could easily do a 3.75 liter H6.. Unsuprisingly at 310 HP this comes out to the same efficiency as the curreny H6 3.0 at 250 hp.

At least the math works.

That much HP for the legacy and STI must mean better turbocharger technologies to be acceptible.. Let's hope for a domestic twin scroll header.. nice cheap upgrades for me :)

I'm gonna be real pissy if the STi and/or the GT get that kinda power stock. We just bought both 2005's. And we both agreed to stop our trade in the car every 1-2 year madness on these ones.

hell, if this info's confirmed, i'm going to speed up the payments on my '05, so by the time the fabeled STi GT rolls out, i'll be in the position to acquire one :D

Yeah, you telling me, I already got $6000 in mods. I don't mind blowing the money since we all need hobbies, but I also did this saying I will keep this more than 2 years. I am the king of trade ins. I usually get a new car once every 1.5 to 2 years, and mostly do leases, but if I figured that I could get this car performance wise where I wanted it, then I would have the best of all worlds. Safety with all wheel drive, confidence in bad weather, kick ass performance, room for my friends and family, comfort of a luxury car, and all for ony $36,000, custom modded to my liking. This will be my total expenditure if they come out with larger turbos for it that will get me to the 400hp mark that I am shooting for. There are allready a couple of companies working on bigger turbo's for our setup.

Hmm, interesting info. Gonna move this to Other cars thread, not really a technical/modding question...

I'm not exactly sure how likely it is, however, I feel for sake of supply chain management, maintainence training, etc, there should be 4 main engines:

-EJ25 N/A (single 175-190hp/similar torque version)

-EJ25 Turbo (three different versions all more potent than current levels, base-WRX/FXT, mid-LGT/OBXT, high-WRX STi)

-EZ30 N/A (single 250-260hp w/ definitely more torque than current)

-EZ30 Turbo

-OR-

-EJ37 N/A

Personally, I don't think there is the need for two higher-output H6 engines and thus say either a 3.7L (actually 3.6xx, not 3.75) that could possibly share many components with the EJ25 lines producing around 300hp/torque or a forced-induction 3.0L H6 variant should be used. While Subaru is used to using turbochargers, a new-generation supercharger integrated into the intake manifold area (likely air-water IC) could be used to negate large intakes and alternative exhaust pipe routing as well as giving new options for a low-lag, optimal boost system.

I think direct injection needs to be added to all models within 2-4 years though to achieve the desired figures (at least partially for marketing purposes), and that's not significantly unreasonable IMO. It would allow the CR in all models to be raised by 0.5:1 to 1.5:1 above current compression on the same fuels and will allow both more performance and efficiency from each design.

ill call bs on all of those

wait till monday evening ...

the first proublem is the 6 speed is the only tranny tha will hold that kind of power

Well, right now, the only tranny that can hold that kind of power is the STi 6MT and perhaps the DCCD-less 6MT in the Spec B Legacy. But personally, I think Subaru needs to follow in the foot steps of BMW and their SMG technology. Essentially a torque converter-less automatic and a clutchless manual in one unit, very strong, doesn't suffer from drivetrain losses due to the torque converter, blips the throttle on downshifts, can be used in auto or sport mode that is similar to Sport-Shift on our autos but works much faster and more effectively.

*It could be used with launch control and maybe two shift speed modes in STi units.

*Performance H6 and turbo models could use a sport-shift unit less launch control.

*Base models essentially just use the stronger torque-converter less automatic transmission configuration for a strong solution that is more efficient than current autos.

Cost would need to be figured out but I'm sure could. I think such a design could eventually replace nearly if not all automatic transmissions with this newer design and possibly manuals. At first I was not convinced, but after looking farther into the BMW SMG II unit, I am in awe of their systems and capabilities. Perhaps in the next 5 years we could see such a system trailing down from the premium models. The current automatic tranny + sportshift doesn't compare.

Throw my engine in just for the heck of it!!

Again 555, you're the voice of reason :D I guess Subaru isn't quite big enough to take such risks *cough*Tribeca*cough*....

SOA Central Region VP told me that for MY06 the EJ25s will get bumped to 180hp and the WRX EJ205(?) bumped to 250hp. The WRX bump makes perfect sense because of the JDM versions...

At first I was not convinced, but after looking farther into the BMW SMG II unit, I am in awe of their systems and capabilities.

Maybe I don't get what's so special about a pack of solenoids, a joystick, and a little code, other than it's cool and no one else is doing it. If they had computers back when they first tried to make an automatic this is what they would have done.

Or maybe, I just need to start applying for a lot of patents :p

Wasn't the auto basically the Model-T transmission (planetary gear unit) with a torque converter added for self-shifting? I think a planetary gear transmission would've been developed further with or without computers. I'm not trying to argue about something so speculative, just offering a counter-point.

Steve

Of course the '04s/'05s do run stronger than the '02/'03...who knows.

why would you say that? the original 02's were doing 0-60 times in the mags as low as 5.4 in several. I've seen several tests of the newer ones, however, doing 6-6.1...they seem to actually be slower. I'm assuming its changes made in the clutch/tranny?

Throw my engine in just for the heck of it!!

Again 555, you're the voice of reason :D I guess Subaru isn't quite big enough to take such risks *cough*Tribeca*cough*....

SOA Central Region VP told me that for MY06 the EJ25s will get bumped to 180hp and the WRX EJ205(?) bumped to 250hp. The WRX bump makes perfect sense because of the JDM versions...

I'm not saying an EZ37 would necessarily be a bad idea, I'm just not sure if there is a sound business case at this particular moment for both, although Subaru is indeed taking a step out with the Baja and Tribeca (less of a step).

We've been hearing for 1-2 years the EJ25 is supposed to be making 180hp the coming MY, believe it when I see it. Reason the JDM version makes what it does... fuel grades available, higher than ours. The comparison to JDM is only made by enthusiasts and not why mfgs produce a given specification. We'd have a 300hp USDM WRX STi w/ a 2.0L engine if it wasn't for our fuel and desire for greater torque, two limiting factors. 300chp can easily be made on pump gas in 2L engines given the right equipment, but it's not so easy for manufacturers to do it.

SMG...

Here's a couple links..

http://www.bmwworld.com/models/config/m3_smg.htm

http://www.toodarkpark.org/misc/cars/m3/smg/

I'll finish my thoughts later...

why would you say that? the original 02's were doing 0-60 times in the mags as low as 5.4 in several. I've seen several tests of the newer ones, however, doing 6-6.1...they seem to actually be slower. I'm assuming its changes made in the clutch/tranny?

too many people destroying their wrx tranny trying to attain that 5.4second time. so by quoting it a slower times, owners will not attempt to dump the clutch too much. Either that, or subaru has installed somekinda "TCS" to limit power clutch dumps.

I'm gonna be real pissy if the STi and/or the GT get that kinda power stock. We just bought both 2005's. And we both agreed to stop our trade in the car every 1-2 year madness on these ones.

Wait! Stop! Let me get Fuji Heavy Industries on the phone and get them to halt all development on the Legacy imediately because 2 Simpletons on a Subaru board will get pissy! :lol:

You'd better stop 'cause they're real pissy!

wunderkind, I thought there was some unit put in place on more recent models, perhaps as far back as MY03 models to not allow the clutch engage fully or at all if above a certain rpm. I could be wrong, but I thought I remember hearing something about that.

Back to the beauty of SMG... Deerkiller, I thought the same thing before really looking into it at all. I'm really a manual driver at heart and love my clutch, but what if you could have the perfect launch every time with launch control, never miss a shift or grind a gear, it automatically blips the throttle when you downshift and can shift faster than you can while not being abusive, can allow you to drive in auto mode in traffic while giving you the sequential mode on the track or back roads, and much, much more...

IIRC from last semester of school and the study of planetary geartrains, the reason they are used is for automatics and why autos are considered for drag apps; superior strength and power harnessing capacity by design, spreading power across 3-4 mesh points over a single point with a manual gearbox. Additionally, taking the torque converter out of the equation takes out the main component for the reason autos have in general been less efficient than manuals in the past and in most current models. It also allows the transmission in auto or sequential mode to work much faster since it is using a clutch system, just controlled by a brain for the perfect shift every time instead of by your left foot. Don't worry about upshifting and lifting the throttle, hit the upshift and keep it nailed. Yes, those planetary geartrains are used for other things, but are a very important component of why autos are stronger in general.

Considering this type of unit can be made stronger than the 6MT, as efficiently or better, possibly lighter and more compact, and gives options for things such as launch control. I think it could replace all autos in various forms (particularly to help in efficiency) and manuals in certain applications.

Being a manual person, I can't believe I'm saying this, but if such a unit was available when I got my GT, and performance was as good as the manual, I think I could have chosen such a setup. Maybe I'm getting a little hung up on the new BMW M's like Adam, but you can't deny such a systems versatility.

u're right sube555. i used "TCS" for the lack of a better word. heh.

IMHO, any car that has more than 6 forward cogs, should have SMG-type shift capability. Imagine the confusion of wondering what gear u're in! LOL.

SMG on a Subaru? Imagine the price! It will be a loooonnnngggg time before that happens.

Archived