LegacyGT.com

New Mintex Xtreme pads

LittleBlueGT

Heard a bit about these, curious on peoples experiences with them (although they are very new)

Stillen's new Mintex Xtreme high performance pads

They are available for the rear of a Legacy (not sure if it is 2.5i or GT/spec-B) and of course the major BBK players.

It would be pretty cool to have street pads that could go to 1300F!!!

Brake pros (Stillen) now uses the Mintex Xtreme Motorsports pads for their AP BBKs.

The AP BBK that I have apparently came with those pads instead of the Ferrodo DS2500s.

So far I am very pleased with them but I will report back after I have used them for longer.

FWIW Mintex makes an Xtreme pad for the rear of our LGTs, but this is not the same pad as the Mintex Xtreme Motorsports, though they have many similarities.

I'm interested in your brake setup.

Looking forward to your findings with the brake pads in daily driving, spirited and track driving. Think they'll be ok to run in winter?

I am told they are fine in -40. But will confirm in about 8 months.

Wow, and they're priced really well!

Anyone contact them about Front pads?

I don't think they have fronts that fit OEM calipers, as the rears seem to be the same part number as other older suby rear brakes.

I don't think they have fronts that fit OEM calipers, as the rears seem to be the same part number as other older suby rear brakes.

I know, that's why I was asking if someone had contacted them about making them :)

Update on the pads:

I took them out and did 7 consecutive full effort slow-downs. I put the car in third gear (322 whp) and went from 3000 rpm to 7000 rpm, then full brakes.

No fade at all, in fact they were (as far as I could tell) 100% consistent during that time.

Next time I will try 9 consecutive slow downs.

FWIW I after 6 of the above slow downs with Carbotech Bobcat pads they were fading, and after 9 slow-downs they were done, but that was with OEM calipers so not a fair comparison of pads.

Started beating on the brakes now, I mean really beating on them. From the color changes on the sides of the rotors I would guesstimate that they have achieved 1000 F. (full rotor temp, not surface temp)

Last night I drove like this......WOT to 90 mph full braking down to 20 mph, repeat with no waiting, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat!

Yes I am nuts. 18 times I did that, and my car gets from 20 to 90 mph pretty fast.

Friction of the pads remained the same, no noticeable fade at all, nothing. I was starting to get worried I would see fluid fade, but all seems good.

I really can't imagine these pads not holding up on the track, I mean how much harder can you be on brakes, unless you have 600 hp?

I stopped when I started to see sparks flying from the wheels. Maybe the rotors were glowing? Supposedly the pads can go up to 1300 F, so maybe they were getting close to that on the surface? Maybe they were glowing like F1 brakes?

I would have stopped to look at them but didn't want to leave my brakes stationary at that temp. I did fry my plastic center caps on my wheels.:confused:

Either way these pads seem to deliver, very high temps, good on the street, not loud at all, good when cold, very low dusting (even after last night the wheels were barely showing any dust!). I guess I will see what they are like for pad wear and rotor wear.

Damn!

I want this pad for my OE calipers!

Don't exist yet.

Even then, they only sell the "motorsport" version of this pad for BBKs.

According to this page: Mintex Xtreme pads the non-motorsport version can go up to 1300 F, supposedly the motorsport ones can go higher. Check the application pdf for details.

http://www.xtremebrakes.com/

I emailed the company and told them there is interest in front pads. Feel free to do the same (they have an electronic form to fill out).

Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for as I've overheated my 900 deg F pads (and that was heavy braking on the highway, not the track). Was thinking of going XP8 but would rather have a little less noise and dust (from what I read) and not worry about cold stops.

I have ion 2 piece front rotors on the way...would probably have gone with DBA 4000 if I had known but had already pulled the trigger on the ions...hopefully they cool and perform as well as the 4000s. Will probably put 4000s on the rear if I can get them.

LittleBlue -- Great testing by you as always and a great setup.

[url=http://www.xtremebrakes.com/][/url]

http://www.xtremebrakes.com/

I emailed the company and told them there is interest in front pads. Feel free to do the same (they have an electronic form to fill out).

Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for as I've overheated my 900 deg F pads (and that was heavy braking on the highway, not the track). Was thinking of going XP8 but would rather have a little less noise and dust (from what I read) and not worry about cold stops.

I have ion 2 piece front rotors on the way...would probably have gone with DBA 4000 if I had known but had already pulled the trigger on the ions...hopefully they cool and perform as well as the 4000s. Will probably put 4000s on the rear if I can get them.

LittleBlue -- Great testing by you as always and a great setup.

What is it about us Winnipegers and overheating brake pads?

The iON rotors will IMO cool much better then the DBA4000s, very good choice of rotors BTW.

I will also send Mintex an e-mail.

FWIW my OEM rear rotors are still fine after my "slightly sychotic" braking trials, so I don't think you need better rotors in the rear. Not a bad thing, but not needed.

Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for as I've overheated my 900 deg F pads (and that was heavy braking on the highway, not the track).

E-mail sent.

You overheated your pads on the highway.:confused: I overheated my Bobcats (also around 900 pads) on the highway, but that was some crazy driving I was doing. Nothing in the realm of spirited I might add.

Maybe your rotors are just toast. You may want to try your pads on the iON rotors when they come and see how they stack up.

Then we can go testing on my private strip, you know, the one you drove my car on!

It's just so hot here in Winnipeg it's easy to over heat ;-) Guess we have lead feet whether it's accellerating or braking.

Will try the SS-Ms with the Ions. The rears do look like they've had some desposit problems but I'll clean off when I get the ions and try.

We can test at the private strip...

• 8 months later...

Update:

Over 10k on the pads now, all is well. I have used up about 1/3 of the usable pad life, so I would expect to get 30k out of them. I "sane" driver would likely get more, a track hound less.

My rear Bobcats got use up pretty fast during my testing, but never overheated. I now have new Bobcat rears, and the seem to be fine.

Anybody else try these pads yet?

I think they will hold up OK for a track weekend.

Archived