LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT faces stiff sales competition from the Mazda 6?

At the mall yesterday, doing the Christmas shopping thing, and there are some new Mazdas on display there. One was an RX-8, the other a Mazda 6. I stopped and looked the Mazda 6 over. Some observations: The dual exhaust outlets look way better than ours. The pipes are wrapped by a much more inspiring rear ground-effect than the boring gray piece the Legacy has. The wheels looked sharp. The car was dark grey, and if I recall, the wheels were also a shade of grey. This car was loaded, sunroof, automatic, leather, and priced at 27,500. From most any angle, except for dead on, the Mazda was more eye-catching than the Legacy. Only the Legacy GT's hood scoop out does the Mazda in exterior styling, IMO. So... if I had not bought a Legacy and were still shopping for sporty sedan, AND... if I were not a driving enthusiast and didn't know the difference between a turbocharged boxer engine and the 6-cylinder Mazda offering, I would probably buy the Mazda. And most buyers are not enthusiasts. Plus I live in the midwest, and most people here don't give a rat's butt about AWD. Its friggin' mind bogling how many 2WD SUVs we have running around here. So maybe that's why our local Subaru dealer NEVER advertises. Plus the local economy around here is in the tank, and not that many folks are buying new cars right now anyway. And maybe that's why I've yet to see another LGT on the road in Tulsa. Just some thoughts...

Yes, i must agree that the 6 is a very sexy car, but they don't offer AWD.......yet. There is a mazdaspeed6 in the works that is supposed to be out in the middle of summer. From what i have read from [url="http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=mazdaSpeed6"]http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=mazdaSpeed6[/url] it will have a turbocharged 276hp 4cyl, awd, direct port injection (first in the us in a production car i believe) well, you guys can read for yourself. :) Cheers, Nick

[quote name='Jonny Bradtmueller']I have heard that the new Mazdas have had a lot of recalls. Plus no AWD.[/QUOTE] what recalls are they? and awd is on the horizon... i know that the tribute (since it's a mazda badged ford escape) is part of ford's 545,000 recall for models made in 2002-2004

I test drove the 6 prior to getting the Legacy - I found the engine uninspiring, the gearbox rubbery and the steering kind of vague. They are definitely eye catchers, though I personally prefer the Legacy from all angles except the front (Leg = Taurus), plus it's more compact. If I was not as interested in a FUN car, I would have definitely gotten a 6 hatchback. Bigger and more versatile. So I guess I generally agree with Whitestar's assesment - we won't see a lot of Legacys on the road soon.

[quote name='Unilat']I test drove the 6 prior to getting the Legacy - I found the engine uninspiring, the gearbox rubbery and the steering kind of vague. They are definitely eye catchers, though I personally prefer the Legacy from all angles except the front (Leg = Taurus), plus it's more compact. If I was not as interested in a FUN car, I would have definitely gotten a 6 hatchback. Bigger and more versatile. So I guess I generally agree with Whitestar's assesment - we won't see a lot of Legacys on the road soon.[/QUOTE] You're kidding right? I also own a Mazda 6s and while the motor lacks the torque of my LGT, it is far from uninspiring. I do have an Injen cold-air intake, which helps quite a bit, but the V6 is a revvy motor that makes good power and makes nice sounds in the process. I can't comment on the shifter as my 6 is an automatic, but while acceptable, I don't think that the shifter in my LGT is anything special. The steering comment is what really throws me. Frankly, I think that the steering in the 6 is sharper and quicker. I actually think that it is a touch too quick right off center. Reliabiliy wise, the Mazda6 is middling. It's not as bad as a VAG product, but my 2003, has experienced some issues with the transmission, which have seemingly subsided of late. The recalls were for stupid stuff like fog lights being incorrectly wired, and an intermitently defective fan control module (still have to get that done). The other one was for a fuel pump lock ring being incorrectly torqued. Mine was fine, but apparently some people smelled gas in their cars (a very small number). While these are not problems to gloss over, none are what I would consider a functional issue. My 6 has been dogged by a couple rattles that I hope the dealer will resolve when I take it in for the fan module recall. Nice thing about Mazda is that your get a free service loaner for all warrantee repairs, so it's no great hardship to take it in. Overall, I still like the LGT better for it's power, superior AWD grip and better interior materials, but the 6 is sexier looking, more roomy and economical (average of 26.5 mpg highway, versus 22 mpg for my LGT). It was also $3K cheaper to purchase as well.

[quote name='Boostjunkie']You're kidding right? I also own a Mazda 6s and while the motor lacks the torque of my LGT, it is far from uninspiring. I do have an Injen cold-air intake, which helps quite a bit, but the V6 is a revvy motor that makes good power and makes nice sounds in the process. I can't comment on the shifter as my 6 is an automatic, but while acceptable, I don't think that the shifter in my LGT is anything special. The steering comment is what really throws me. Frankly, I think that the steering in the 6 is sharper and quicker. I actually think that it is a touch too quick right off center. Reliabiliy wise, the Mazda6 is middling. It's not as bad as a VAG product, but my 2003, has experienced some issues with the transmission, which have seemingly subsided of late. The recalls were for stupid stuff like fog lights being incorrectly wired, and an intermitently defective fan control module (still have to get that done). The other one was for a fuel pump lock ring being incorrectly torqued. Mine was fine, but apparently some people smelled gas in their cars (a very small number). While these are not problems to gloss over, none are what I would consider a functional issue. My 6 has been dogged by a couple rattles that I hope the dealer will resolve when I take it in for the fan module recall. Nice thing about Mazda is that your get a free service loaner for all warrantee repairs, so it's no great hardship to take it in. Overall, I still like the LGT better for it's power, superior AWD grip and better interior materials, but the 6 is sexier looking, more roomy and economical (average of 26.5 mpg highway, versus 22 mpg for my LGT). It was also $3K cheaper to purchase as well.[/QUOTE] i concur. the steering feel in the 6 is better 'n the L GT's but i did not enjoy having to smack a cane to the car's backside to get it moving. no low end to speak of and not a lot of midrange power on the car.

[quote name='Beanboy']So the fact GM is a 20% shareholder in Fuji Industries is okay? Mazdaspeed 6 will be more of a sports sedan than the Legacy GT is. A good thing, since it might make Subaru bring a Legacy STi over.[/QUOTE] *checks CZ28.com* Bean? From the Camaro boards? LoL, What's up dude, didn't know you were on here. How's the new ride treating you? To answer your question, I like GM, so a percentage of them owning part of the Subbies is ok to me. I was actually thinking of doing an RX-7/LS2 swap, but I really need a practical car to trade my car in on. Hence, Hurry and bring the Leg STi.

[quote name='Beanboy']So the fact GM is a 20% shareholder in Fuji Industries is okay? Mazdaspeed 6 will be more of a sports sedan than the Legacy GT is. A good thing, since it might make Subaru bring a Legacy STi over.[/QUOTE] 30% is quite a large margin. Oh, and prelim specs say you're wrong. ;)

If you look more into the mazda speed 6 you'll see it's hp is +26 over a stock GT, but it's projected acceleration times are not as good as the legacy GT and its a 2.3 vs. 2.5. More cubic inches is better and with some simple mods the GT can be punched up to 300hp. The 6 will most likely handle better initially, but the Subaru should have a lot more to offer with aftermarket parts. And keep in mind the AWD....Subaru has been doing it forever, and I feel much safer with a Subie powertrain. Subaru is 20% GM, but Mazda is owned by Ford.....ehh.

I didn't see projected acceleration times posted anywhere on their site. Maybe I'm just blind. But i know what you mean about the AWD, this is their first attempt at it in a production mazda. I feel better about the legacy as well. Nick

Guest JessterCPA
Although the Mazda 6 is more "eye-catching" than the LGT, I have quickly tired of it. A little too Boy-racer for me. The exhausts look better only because they do not blend in as mush as our do. You really notice the exhausts on a 6. I think it's a great competitor. The Mazdaspeed 6 will be interesting, but the old price/value think is gonna come up again. Is that car really worth what they are going to have to charge for that? And Mazda cars have been coming up quite short of projected performance figures lately. The rx-8, Mazdaspeed Miata, and the deceased Mazdaspeed Protoge all just did not seem to reach their potential.

[quote name='Beanboy']280 lbs-ft of torque at 3000RPM, 18" tires, 6-speed manual, stability control... It will take out a Legacy GT performance-wise for the price of the GT limited. Wait and see DM...[/QUOTE] Let the numbers as they stand speak for themselves. I'm sure they're conservative, but not sub 6 conservative? That's being QUITE conservative!

Guest JessterCPA
[quote name='Beanboy']280 lbs-ft of torque at 3000RPM, 18" tires, 6-speed manual, stability control... It will take out a Legacy GT performance-wise for the price of the GT limited. Wait and see DM...[/QUOTE] As I said before, lets see what actually rolls out onto the street. If the tests come out that this thing is a rocket, I will be impressed & have a good level of respect for the car. Hopefully Mazda will not "restate" HP figures like on some past cars.

From ModernRacer.com. Legacy GT....cheaper and projected to be faster. Mazda Speed 6 Base price : $30,000 (estimated) ***Get a free price quote Engine : 4 cylinder, turbocharged DOHC, front engine AWD Displacement : 2,300 cc Valve : 16 valves, 4 valves per cylinder Transmission : 6-spd manual Fuel economy : city - 18 mpg(estimated) **************************** highway - 26 mpg(estimated) Suspension : F - Independent double wishbone ************************ R - Independent multilink Brakes : F - Vented discs *************** R - Vented discs Horsepower : 274 hp @ 5500 rpm Torque : 280 lb-ft @ 3000rpm Redline : unknown Top speed : 150 mph 0-60 mph : 6.2 sec. 0-¼ mile : 14.7 sec @ 96.5 mph(estimated) 60-0 braking distance : 121 ft(estimated) 200 ft skidpad : 0.90 g(estimated) Curb Weight : 3500 lbs(estimated) Overall length : 186.6 in. Wheelbase : 105.3 in. Overall Width : 70.0 in. Height : 56.9 in. Legacy GT: Base price : $26,095 ***Get a free price quote Engine : 4 cylinder, turbocharged, DOHC, front engine AWD Displacement : 2,457 cc Valve : 16 valves, 4 valves per cylinder Transmission : 5-spd manual, 5-spd automanual Fuel economy : city - 18 mpg **************************** highway - 24 mpg Suspension : F - Independent MacPherson strut ************************ R - Independent multilink Brakes : F - Vented discs *************** R - Solid discs Horsepower : 250 hp @ 5600 rpm Torque : 250 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm Redline : unknown Top speed : 136 mph(electronically limited) 0-60 mph : 5.7 sec. 0-¼ mile : 14.3 sec @ 96.9 mph 60-0 braking distance : 130 ft 200 ft skidpad : 0.84 g Curb Weight : 3300-3435 lbs(sedan), 3355-3500(wagon) Overall length : 184.3 in. Wheelbase : 105.1 in. Overall Width : 68.1 in. Height : 57.9 in.

[quote name='Beanboy']The Mazdaspeed 6 will perform better in at least 90% of all performance tests. If not, I'll clean out the pebbles stuck in the treads of my RE92s with a toothbrush. -B[/QUOTE] As do I. Oral-B or Reach?

Archived