LegacyGT.com

how important to detail before winter arrives?

hey guys. i just bought my legacy gt wagon used a few weeks back, and was thinking of getting it detailed before winter hit with full force. how important is it to get it detailed before the harsh winter conditions? does it protect the paint significantly?

im running Prima Epic on my 06 civic which is my beater car and it's

protecting the paint very well through the salt, snow, and rain.

was applied 10/14/06, still protecting well. :)

same goes on my 06 legacy wagon running Griot's Best of Show.

It does protect the paint significantly. I would never go through a winter storm season without a layer of durable protection. Both my cars sit outside. I usually put a couple of layers of Collinite 845. I don't bother with paint correction such as swirl marks because usually they'll happen again because during the winter its very hard to wash the car safely without creating more swirls. So leave the paint correction for spring and just get a layer of a good durable wax or sealant. It really helps when it comes to hosing off the salt and muck.

The Klasse twins are good but there are other Acrylic sealants out there that are easier to apply and last just as long, examples would be Danase Acrylic Sealant from http://www.danase.com, or M-Seal Factory Paint Sealant and Fs Pure Acrylic High Gloss Sealant from http://www.chemicalguys.com, or Jeffswerkstatt's Acrylic Jett from http://www.jeffswerkstatt.com

Clay it

Klass AIO it

top it with 3 coats (one per 24 hours) of Klass Sealant....then drive to your hearts content in the white stuff.

In fact now i regret not Klasse Sealing my rims .

I got 4 coats of Klasse Sealent on the 05 Legacy

and 2 coats on the 02 Legacy.

and when i wash them .....the salt and crap comes right off and they shine right up like a new penny.

oh and my PC and brotha OCDetails rock!!!

Wolfgang

Clay, Polish, Sealant....done.

http://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/products.html

OCDetails on Wolfgang:

"This stuff is amazing on every color. I haven't used anything else that I like better on my color though. On my car I have used four different sealants and 5 different waxes, including 3 spray waxes and 2 spray sealants, on the car just to see what I like the most. Wolfgang looked better than any of them by a long shot. I haven't ever read or heard from anybody that they were disappointed in the appearance of Wolfgang."

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27835

^ iyalla, I tried out the Collinite based on your recommendation, and it rocks. Just wanted to point that out to anyone else reading this thread :)

LOL excellent! :)

Its my go to topper wax before I walk away from the car. Like I said my car sits outside and Collinite just doesn't stop beading and it makes easy cleans of bird bombs ;) Glad you like it!

Im sorry, but I dont see any wax sticking throught sub zero temps and salt/road grime. It will protect you at most, the forst 2 or 3 storms. After that it comes off.

What waxes have you tried through winter?

Oh and even OCDetails doesn't use Wolfgang in the winter! Even he will admit its really not that durable in those conditions but it has superior optics. A couple of coats of Klasse and any other Acrylic sealants, , Meguiars #21, a Carnuaba blend like Collinite 845/476s/925 or One Grand Blitz wax is what you want for winter.

Oh and even OCDetails doesn't use Wolfgang in the winter! Even he will admit its really not that durable in those conditions but it has superior optics. A couple of coats of Klasse and any other Acrylic sealants, , Meguiars #21, a Carnuaba blend like Collinite 845/476s/925 or One Grand Blitz wax is what you want for winter.

Poopy. Good thing we are having a very mild winter in Baltimore.:icon_bigg

LOL excellent! :)

Its my go to topper wax before I walk away from the car. Like I said my car sits outside and Collinite just doesn't stop beading and it makes easy cleans of bird bombs ;) Glad you like it!

It's just awesome. I detailed the car teh week before it was shipped from san diego. The movers move the car in the back of a moving truck...super dusty and super dirty back there. When I moved to SD my car was filthy coming off the truck. When I received my car this week it was pretty much how I left it. That dirt and dust just didn't stick to the car. How? :iam: ...but I would put my money on the collinite.

Everything, my buddy used to detail and does my car.

I'll try some of the things mentioned above.

Definitely give one of them a try if you can. They may not be as beautiful as Wolfgang on their own but they are more durable.

Collinite 845 is easy to apply. Their 476s has more durability but is Klasse like in application. Online detail stores like http://www.autogeek.net are now selling them.

It's just awesome. I detailed the car teh week before it was shipped from san diego. The movers move the car in the back of a moving truck...super dusty and super dirty back there. When I moved to SD my car was filthy coming off the truck. When I received my car this week it was pretty much how I left it. That dirt and dust just didn't stick to the car. How? :iam: ...but I would put my money on the collinite.

Yeah once it sets its pretty hard to get anything to stick to it. It gets very slick , its not surprising that they use the same formula for their boat wax :)

Winter is pretty tough on cars. Getting a good coat of protection on before winter hits is incredibly important if you want to keep your car looking good. Once in the fall and once in the Spring is the bare minimum for car care if you want to protect your investment. I suggest once in the middle of the year too just to keep it looking fresh.

Now is really not the best time of year to be starting the process. It may not be snowing, but it is damn cold out there. Most products don't like extreme heat or extreme cold. Once it gets below 40 I have found the effectiveness of most products to be pretty slight. It's like they just won't bond or cure or something. If you can find a day above 40 degrees then I would suggest at least getting a coat of wax on the car. Sure it won't last very long, but it will give you a few weeks between thaws. I put 4 or 5 layers of acrylic sealant on in October and that seems to make it though the winter just fine. :) If I want good looks on top of that then I throw on a coat of wax when we get a warm day. Anything to help protect my car from damage when it looks like this is good news for me:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/OCDetails2/DSC03421.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/OCDetails2/DSC03418.jpg

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

When you go out for a walk in the evening, do you make sure to drop by and do some window shopping at the prima store? :lol: Maybe even volunteer to drop by and wash their windows? You're in love with that stuff!:lol::wub:

:lol: no. i only luv things that actually works well.

and if something sucks, you will be hearing from me as well. :icon_mrgr

I just bought myseLf aLGT and seeing as I live in VT and will be driving it to the mountain 3 or 4 times a week what you suggest I do? Sorry I am very inexperienced with car detailing and maintenance and I just dont want ignorance to play a role in deteriorating my car!!!! To bad it probably wont get above 40 here until march!?!?!?! I'm assuming the dealer put a coat on before they sold it when they were cleaning it up? Ill ask, but in addition to this what should i do?

THANKS!!!

Archived