LegacyGT.com

OEM HID vs. Aftermarket HID

Waxiboy

So I was running aftermarket 5000K HID for a year until 1 bulb went out last week. Instead of availing of the lifetime warranty to get the free bulb, I went to ebay and got me OEM Koito/Denso ballast and Philips D2S bulbs with H7 adaptors.

Install was relatively easy because the ballasts are very slim compared to the boxy old ballast (like Philips LVQ212). Just a few install notes: 1) Use a dremel to rebased the bulb and make sure you leave a notch so that it will not move once in the projector, 2) Since the base of the bulb is now 2-3mm thicker than halogen base, you need to modify the retaining clips to reduce clamp pressure and widen it a bit to accept the ballast plug...(it is huge), and 3) Since I cut the ballast-bulb wire (yes I know I should not do this) to route the wire thru the OEM grommet, make sure that when you twist the wire and solder well when connecting back. Also, do not cut the + and - evenly, the joints need to be as far apart as can be to prevent arcing.

The result is just amazing. There is no comparison in light output. :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg It is like upgrading to a new level of HID. I am still using stock projectors so the cut-off still has that slight yellowish tinge on top. Overall, I am very satisfied and the price premium (not much btw) is well worth it. I will post pics later as I slept at 2AM just to finish this.

Thanks to VXCL for his useful links!

here are pics of the back side of the right headlight housing. i'll take more pics when it gets dark.

1st pic - headlight cap on, no holes!!! :D

2nd pic - D2S plug

3rd pic - same plug, another angle

4th pic - skinny ballast under headlight housing. i used 3M super strength double tape (not the green & white pattern)

IMG_4302.JPG.d63ab55ce544c5dda3bba55ff9a8fa22.JPG

IMG_4308.JPG.9d9023120c14a5cdd133daef8c4d8bb0.JPG

IMG_4309.JPG.399ecab4c2aa09a9bfaedd50d4df3eba.JPG

IMG_4313.JPG.ee901dac6e3003df02e205efe9edea24.JPG

Very interesting ... I have a xtech 5000k kit and I have not been blown away with the performance at all ... I am not sure if it is my headlight aim ir what but it feels washed out in the middle of my vision spectrum at times...these other bulbs ... can they fit with my current kit?

Thanks in advance ...

I used the oem phillips ds2 bulbs with h7 adapter and also the power adapter with a banzi express hid kit. Its a bitch to get everything right when u use ds2 bulbs. Trying to get the clip around it. Had one clip come off one projector(lost the clips) had to temp duct tape and electical tape the bulb in just right for now. I should have just got another set of rebased h7 hid bulbs to replace the golden/yellow ones i had previsouly. Instead of having to go thru all this trouble would have both cost the same in the end.

Its a bitch to get everything right when u use ds2 bulbs. Trying to get the clip around it.

Looking at the backside of the housing, there is 1 screw that holds that clip in place. Loosen it then take the clip off. It is much easier to re-configure the clip when it is out. It is a trial and error process to make sure the clips won't get in the way of the plug.

Archived