LegacyGT.com

Borla Tips on Stock Blacked Out Mufflers - w/ Pics

hal9e3

Finally finished this 'little' project. Between the prep work, sawing off the old flares, painting and reinstalling the mufflers, installing the tips and curing the paint it took me about 6 hours. Pictures in order are:

1) Old tip sawed off

2) Tip from inside showing muffler outlet pipe

3) Side view

4) Back view

5) Closeup view underneath

6) Whole view underneath showing Lachute res/Y as well

I'll post a writeup (it's pretty easy actually) and a vid later. I was amazed to find that the Borla tips actually changed the exhaust sound! It kinda purrs now. Haven't opened it up yet.

sawedoff1.thumb.jpg.3b839907663e43e524063b80c6a63be4.jpg

tip1.thumb.jpg.368476be7062b0d09123fd7dadef2067.jpg

side1.thumb.jpg.30005be11e27bb0116d0e57d3c5b3f05.jpg

behind2.thumb.jpg.45270041c7b74f0fc9ce49cb71d362f6.jpg

tip_under1.thumb.jpg.f078c9265c575d735841fc5b16812965.jpg

behind1.thumb.jpg.821a2b6542cb0038f2e4f4e665cd3c11.jpg

PGT, got brochure?:) Yeah, they're pretty similar. About 1/2" wider and 1/4" taller. That's the beauty of this setup tho. You can put ANY Borla tip with a 2.5" inlet ID and clamp on our mufflers the same way I did mine. Also, if you check the tip_under1 photo you'll see that I have the tips set about 1" out from their most-tucked-in setting. I would estimate you could move the tips at least 2" further out and maybe more if you're looking for a more arresting visual statement.

Was considering this for our NA OB, but cutting off the turned down section of the tips would leave too little to clamp on to - I'd have to pay someone to weld. So I found LGT cans for cheap.

Not that much difference from the rear, but yours look better in profile. And the paint makes a dramatic difference.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

The pictures really don't do it justice. The more I look at it the better I like the result. Went to the local Legacy/OB GTG last night and I can see why sedan owners aren't overly impressed. The tips are now located about where they are on a sedan, but are at least 1" further out than they are on a wagon.

• 2 months later...

Looks great.

got a couple of quesions, I am thinking of doing something similar later on...

How do you like the lachute pieces? is there highway exhaust droning noise? does it fit fairly well without difficulty?

What paint did you use for the mufflers? mine are painted, but the paint isn't holding up that well...

I am thinking about changing the tips on mine, as well, to the Magnaflow double-walled round slash-cut tips... do you recommend welding them on, or clamping them on as you did (aside from paying someone to weld it... I suppose that somewhat depends on how much space there is...)

• 2 months later...

OK, bigger pictures posted [ame=http://flickr.com/photos/34172478@N00/sets/72157594493225954/]MufflerPics - a set on Flickr[/ame]. These are the old pictures with the tips in their original position. I have moved them about 1" further out since these were taken. Hopefully I'll have a bunch of new pics next weekend with all my new stuff, and I'll update the muffler pics while I'm at it.

IWSS, the Lachute went on OK but not without some difficulty. The bolts were too short where the res connects to the Y, and it didn't include new bolts where it connects to the DP either so those were too short as well. I had to make mini spring compressors out of tie wraps to get it connected:( It also requires an additional gasket to go along with the donut, and getting it seated properly was a PITA. After everything was said and done it's a nice piece tho, as long as I never have to take it off and put it back on:) I'm very happy with the sound. Just a touch of extra growl, partly from the Lachute, partly from the Borla tips. I used hi-temp paint which can be bought at Pep Boys et al, and it seems to work fine and may even be overkill that far back in the exhaust system. Just be sure and get the mufflers VERY clean before painting them and you shouldn't have any problems. I'm lazy and I wanted to be able to easily revert back to stock so I went with clamp-on tips, which definitely limits your choices.

Archived