LegacyGT.com

Turbodiesel Pick Up Truck videos

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah - it takes around $1500-2k to put a Ford 7.3 from the 17s into the 13s. The 6.0s make power even easier but have a tendancy to lose head gaskets.

I'm new to the diesel world but I've seen enough in the past few weeks that I've decided to get a diesel van for the business I'm about to start. Then I can have a modded work vehicle too :D

Those Turbo D's are impressive! It would suck getting spanked by one though. If I ever get another truck or large suv, thats the way to go, they can even get 20 mpg while doing it! :icon_cool
"You poke it, You own it" - Man law supporter

Those Turbo D's are impressive! It would suck getting spanked by one though. If I ever get another truck or large suv, thats the way to go, they can even get 20 mpg while doing it! :icon_cool

They can get 20 mpg when they aren't running 11.5 second quaters you mean.:lol:

All that black smoke pouring out is the result of dumping huge amounts of fuel into the motor and not burning it all.

They can get 20 GPM when they aren't running 11.5 second quaters you mean.:lol:

All that black smoke pouring out is the result of dumping huge amounts of fuel into the motor and not burning it all.

fixed

Buddy has a 04 GMC 2500 crew cab TD

He has a bullydog EM & a diff intake system & injectors...

Daily driver

476whp / over 750ftlb:eek:

Has had #'s much higher than that, but like I said he drives the truck daily 35-40k peryear.

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I got spanked by one of these last week (not a street racing story, no race involved). I started to go from a light & this big ass turbo-diesel ram just flew right past me. I didn't try to keep up but this guy was really movin. I saw him lookin at my car at the light so I guess he wanted to show me what he had.

Mike is a diesel junkie :lol:

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

fixed

Not really, they can get 20mpg on the road. Even very powerful diesels are efficient at part trottle. Now when they are running 11.5 second quarter miles the 20 gallons per mile is probably not far off.:lol:

The last few diesel trade-ins we had at the store were averaging 11-14 and this was both Fords and Dodges. I took one F350 Powerstroke to a customer's house and couldn't get it into the 14's no matter what I did.

theoretically, once u get a diesel engine hot enuff...u can run it on water...a la steam engine :)

How do you figure? Water is not combustuble even if super heated. Sorry but no. Hydrogen is a different story. :(

Steam is created by energy input via burning of fuel, expanding the steam, and most often, pushing a steam piston. Completely different then an internal combustion fossil fuel engine.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

I used to tow sailboats a lot and the diesels kick butt. My brother-in-law has a new Ford and it's a lot quieter than the old 7.3's, and tows a 10,000 lb hay wagon or his combine like a walk in the park.

Another friend had a Dodge with the Cummins. he sold it at 160K because although the engine was perfect he was having all kinds of problems with everything from door latches to headlights. He got 19mpg highway if he took it easy and said it was a big hit on construction sites.

So, when is there going to be the first LGT tractor pull?

Who Dares Wins

スバル

The last few diesel trade-ins we had at the store were averaging 11-14 and this was both Fords and Dodges. I took one F350 Powerstroke to a customer's house and couldn't get it into the 14's no matter what I did.

Mine regularly gets 18 or so around town and has done as well as 21 (2000 F250). On an 800 mile highway trip earlier this year it averaged 19 running 78 mph. I just completed a 400 mile highway trip today, first trip with the chip and exhaust. I'll post the mileage when I fuel up in the next day or so.

If you're taking the numbers off the computer, they are notoriously inaccurate. Also, mileage doesn't come up on most diesels until after 20k miles, so that might be a contributing factor if these are newer trucks you're driving....

Yeah - MPG gets better on them as you mod but you can't trust the lie-o-meter, especially after electronic mods.

rodan - hope you got a chip from dp-tuner.com. His 6-position switch chip is regarded as the best option for the 7.3. If I get a 7.3 Powerstroke van I'll get the high idle (for work), 60hp tow (just in case I tow), 80hp econo (for 99% of my driving) and the 120hp "race" tune. Top it off with at least a 4in exhaust and the "6637" filter (Napa or equiv) and I should be in good shape. I think a 14-sec cargo van would be hilarious!

Can you tell I've spent some time lurking in the 7.3 section of ford-trucks.com? :D

Bullydog, Edge, and Banks have excellent popular diesel tuner products also. Instant HP switching. Sick power gains from a minimal investment. I lean towards Banks 'cause I like the guy and have bought his excellent products in the past.
________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Banks is $$$. You can get the same results for a lot less...

John - Yup, I've got a 3-pos chip from DP. Stock, 60, 80hp. I also have a 4" MBRP exhaust and the 6637 filter, in-tank, pre-pump mods. I've also shimmed the fuel pressure regulator. I'm on ford-trucks.com as well... :D

I've got the 6MT, so it's no drag racer and that's why I skipped on the high hp settings. I can tell you you will need to do some turbo work with the higher hp tunes. I'm getting into compressor surge at times on the 80hp setting.

I did my whole recent trip on the 80hp settings, so I'll check the mileage when I fill up and report...

Ok, 420 miles round trip, of which ~380 was hwy w/ cruise set at 78 mph. Netted 19.2 mpg.

The nearest data point I had was a similar trip giving 19 mpg at around the same speeds.

Next time around I'll try the 60 hp setting and see if it improves the mileage at all.

Archived