LegacyGT.com

Bad news on calendar

Stef

!@#$%^&*()+!! We just discovered an important piece of information: [quote] NO pictures or photographs of products (such as automobiles or toys). Even if you own a product, trademark laws still prohibit you from selling merchandise that features pictures of it. For example, you cannot take a picture of your car and then sell t-shirts or mugs with that picture. [/quote] :o Which puts quite a wrench in the works for the calendar. Needless to say, we're really bummed. We'd got a great collection of some truly professional looking pictures together to include in the calendar. Anyone have any ideas on how to get around this?

Guest *Jedimaster*
You could distribute them to people who make a "donation". But still it'd technically be a freebie. Also, I beleive your quote is from Cafepress.com- they took over a year to catch up with me on my t-shirt design that I made for WRXFanatics.com. Just have them made and order a bunch of them so that if they do catch up and stop production, you'll have plenty left.

[quote name='jedimaster']You could distribute them to people who make a "donation". But still it'd technically be a freebie. Also, I beleive your quote is from Cafepress.com- they took over a year to catch up with me on my t-shirt design that I made for WRXFanatics.com. Just have them made and order a bunch of them so that if they do catch up and stop production, you'll have plenty left.[/quote] OMG don't copy my idea! :x

Ok, I think if everyone wrote off (as in contract) that they give legacyGT.com full permission to use their cars for the SOLE purpose of the calender, Im sure this will give you the legal eagles what they need to sign off on it. The only other thing might be to have it marketed downunder (AKA Oz) as we dont have the same marketing rules. Just a suggestion. Adam.

hmm, lots of good ideas In general, this really doesn't make sense to me. I was under the impression that if you take a picture, the picture belongs to you and you can profit from it, unless it's violating someone else's privacy, etc. Looks like at least the calendar project isn't dead in the water, so keep the photos coming. We'll be deciding what to do over the next few days. Kinda looks at this point like we won't be able to use cafepress, since they've already flagged one of the photos as violating copyright. Which is really too bad, since they handle all the money and shipping, and we wouldn't have to do a mass order up front. Thanks for all the suggestions! And yes, DM, it was your idea first :roll:

Sorry, calendars won't be given away to people who donate. Stef's right, we're going to look at options not cafepress, and we have plenty of time as I'm sure people won't be ordering 2004 calendars. Maybe have t-shirts made? perhaps a poll which people want more first.

what if you aren't making a profit on it? a "donation"..... clearly can't sell it, but nothing is to stop one of us of making out own calandar for each of us....i think the whole idea behind that is so that you can't make money off something Subaru designed / created. But hey what they don't know won't hurt them

Guest *Jedimaster*
I didn't mean to give them to those of us who donated, I meant to give them to people who donate in the future. And believe it or not, you own the picture, but if it's of a copyrighted item, like a Subau, you can't use it. In fact, just using the picture of the JDM Legacy on the front page is unlawful. But nobody would ever bother you about it. I'm all for a t-shirt, as I'm a huge t-shirt wh0re. But I'd like to see a calendar as well. I'll do a little searching later on and find somewhere a lbut less anal than cafepress.

Cool, that'd be great if you could look around, Jedi. The main problem with going somewhere other than cafepress is that we'd have to shell out the money up front for a large purchase, which would be somewhat of a gamble on our parts, plus a LOT more time and effort in dealing with the money and shipping, etc. That's mostly why cafepress was so appealing. The other thing we'll probably do at this point is contact Subaru and see if they'll give us permission. I imagine they'd probably be willing to not pursue it, but I kinda doubt they'll be willing to give us the type of documentation we'd need for cafepress to be happy. Hrmm.

[quote name='stef']but I kinda doubt they'll be willing to give us the type of documentation we'd need for cafepress to be happy. Hrmm.[/quote] if you write to SOA then they will likely write you back (don't give them your phone number or email address), and i guess the letter may make cafepress happy.

This Space For Rent

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='stef']Cool, that'd be great if you could look around, Jedi. The main problem with going somewhere other than cafepress is that we'd have to shell out the money up front for a large purchase, which would be somewhat of a gamble on our parts, plus a LOT more time and effort in dealing with the money and shipping, etc. That's mostly why cafepress was so appealing. The other thing we'll probably do at this point is contact Subaru and see if they'll give us permission. I imagine they'd probably be willing to not pursue it, but I kinda doubt they'll be willing to give us the type of documentation we'd need for cafepress to be happy. Hrmm.[/quote] No problem- [url]http://www.unicorngraphics.com/custom.htm[/url] [url]http://www.proforma.com/products/promoprods/calendars/wall.asp[/url] [url]http://www.digi-labs.net/business.htm[/url] [url]http://www.branders.com/catalog/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=307215&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=328359&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=328359&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=79659&bmUID=1094938759522&breadcrumb=true[/url] Some of these, particularly Branders, looked reasonable.

Archived