LegacyGT.com

Legacy unstable in moderate wind?

While driving on the freeway today - the wind was around 17-20mph and I was going at 75mph. I felt my car was getting tossed a bit. Dont know if it has to do with an AWD, its aerodynamics, weight of the car, or tire pressure(I havent checked yet). Anyone feel the same?

I get the same thing. The higher the speeds the more sensitive the car is. I've found the car nicely stable in a good wind at about 60mph and under.

I've learned to compensate for this behaviour with steering adjustments and/or reducing speed. There's a lot of vehicles out there with this, I could give you a list of the ones I've owned and/or driven and some of the heavier one's might surprise you.

After driving Full-Size pickup trucks, Mini-Vans and Other sedans with the profile of a Barn.. I find that my Leggy is pretty stable in high winds. Thats not to say it does't get blown around..but not nearly as much as some vehicles I've driven.

Mine blew off the road the other day and almost flipped over.

Yup ... happens to me all the time, Jedi.

But it usually happens to me when I'm doing more like 140 through a school zone.

I swear to god, the more I read car forums, the dumber I get. Either no one has any common sense any more, or they all failed intro to physics.

The other five percent could be lift... Front air dam might improve things... dunno.

Anything to lower the air pressure and velocity under the car can help reduce lift, and keep more of the car's weight on the suspension, and thus on the tires...

Probably will also increase Cd a bit, and lower gas mileage a tad bit.

Archived