LegacyGT.com

accessport stage 2 with K&N typhoon

HNRB4LGT

I've been running a Typhoon on my car from about a week after I bought it with no problems. I'm at stage 2 at this point but I got an e-tune from PDX which I am very happy with.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

It is not a good idea to change the intake from stock to anything without a tune. You will be really messing with the MAF sensor and can cause bad problems. Have people got away with out it, I am sure. It is not worth it. At a minimum I would email Infamous1 for an E-Tune to go with that.

Not sure if it is safe or not, but I would not do it.

I run the typhoon with my open source map that I scaled the maf table on. I could tell you this, the stock MAF table looks nothing like the MAF table for the Typhoon.

If you have the ability to log it, you should and see what is going on.

Is the KN intake piping diameter the same as the stock maf housing or is it different?

If the intake pipe is the same diameter, I dont see what would cause a problem, as the maf would be calibrated to read the correct volume of air. Im not trying to be argumentative about it, but for all the times Ive heard that putting an intake on your car is catastrophe, no one is able to say why other than intake piping being a different diameter.

If there is some other reason, let me know. :confused:

Is the KN intake piping diameter the same as the stock maf housing or is it different?

If the intake pipe is the same diameter, I dont see what would cause a problem, as the maf would be calibrated to read the correct volume of air. Im not trying to be argumentative about it, but for all the times Ive heard that putting an intake on your car is catastrophe, no one is able to say why other than intake piping being a different diameter.

If there is some other reason, let me know. :confused:

I am not sure of the size of the typhoon piping vs stock, but the fact that just removing the resonator on the stock box can alter your AFRs..makes me believe there is more to it than just the piping size.

You definately need a tune if you are running any type of aftermarket intake. What I think is uncertain is if it is dangerous or not...to not have one.

hmm...well, i thought the stock intake flowed so much air any aftermarket intakes werent worth it? but now its flowing so much more air that its altering air fuel ratios? :confused: I removed my silencer box and didnt have A/F issues.

I installed a cobb SF intake on my car and im currently running a OTS cobb stage 2 map with no issues, my buddy was running a short ram intake on his sti with ots stage 2 software with no a/f issues...

I dunno. Ive certainly been wrong before, but Ive yet to see a car with a stock maf diameter cause adverse effects.

how bad can it be?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDmznAi6tpw]YouTube - NuclearIntake[/ame]

Im not saying getting tuned is a bad thing, btw, or if you are uncomfortable with running an intake dont get a tune. I just havent seen any evidence that an intake with a stock maf housing diameter has caused any issues, and the discussions are always contradicting each other. "aftermarket intakes dont make any power, the stocker flows" "aftermarket intakes flow so much more air than stock it will cause your a/f to go lean" which is it? maybe....its in-between?? :iam:

alright, ive beat my point to death. :deadhorse: If there is definitive evidence to the contrary, I am all for seeing it. Until then, just dont install a nuclear intake on your car. :D

I am sure the more advanced tuners will chime in, but all I know is that my car was running much leaner after slapping on the Typhoon. I know this because I have been logging/tuning my car for the last year with a WB02..the maf scale looks much different from stock. I also know that many people on the tuning forums have had similar results (leaning).

With that said, I have never heard of anyone blowing up their engine because of a typhoon intake and stage 2 Cobb map..

For those that care...here is an excel file that shows stock vs my typhoon maf scaling.

As an overly simplified example at 4.41 Maf V the typhoon is moving 240 g/sec of air(confirmed using my wb02), the stock airbox at the same voltage sees 222 g/sec. Basically what this means is if you swap to the typhoon and hit 4.41 maf V without a tune that adjust the maf scaling, the ecu will think you are moving 222 g/sec of air and will add fuel to hit your target arf using the 222 number. Since in reality, with the typhoon you are moving 240 g/sec..this will cause you to run lean since you are inhaling more air than the ECU thinks it is getting.

Stock vs Typhoon Maf scaling.csv

I installed an AEM with my open source stage 2 tune.. It worked alright at first but eventually started knocking at 5400+ rpm. I rescaled the closed loop portion (5-80 MAF g/s) and again for a while (week or so) it seemed fine but then started knocking again at 5400+ rpm again. I don't have a wb02 sensor at the moment so I can't scale the open loop portion, so I put my stock airbox back on for now. My AEM is showing 230 maf g/s max where my stock box is showing 250 maf g/s.

An intake on a stage 2 car without scaling can kill your engine. You won't feel anything different, but you can see it knocking with data logs or constant learning view checks. I wouldn't tell anyone it's fine to run any intake unless they are tuned for it.

yeah I was bored the other night and did a little gag reel. I was going to try and find old clips of dr. mccoy telling kirk he was out of his mind etc then some clips of some disaster aftermath for "the after maf" of intake usage. but remember, the stock air system is so efficient, its not a restriction until 325+whp, and not necessary for a stage 2 car :D

Im running a cobb intake on my OTS stage 2 and its fine.

If the maf diameter is the same as stock, its fine to run it.

This is completely false.

Even a stock intake system with an aftermarket drop in filter can alter the fuel mixture up to a half point alone.

Making gag reels can also blow your engine..be careful. :)

it WOULD be the all time back fire.

So far watching the readings on the AP show my a/f is still too rich even with the addition of the intake. Its going on the dyno tomorrow or the day after, so I guess I'll know for sure then. While it is totally going to suck if I turn out to be wrong and having to own up for it (or, oh noes! blowing my engine? :eek:), being right may result in another gag reel :p

Archived