LegacyGT.com

Need to upgrade the brakes

Madjik_Man

Okay, so I read Xenonk's wonderful brake upgrade sticky thread above. Thanks I actually learned a lot.

I am fed up with crappy OEM pads on the car. The dealer keeps resurfacing the rotors because I have that ridiculous problem of violent brake shimmies and shakes... again after searching I learned from the forum that there's an organic binder in the OEM pads that deposits on the rotors thus creating the vibrations. After 500 miles the problem always comes back and after the drive down from the mountains last weekend and the very violent shakes I'm getting from the brakes, I'm fed up.

The dealer said they'll replace all my rotors. From what I've read here the stock rotors are fine (hell I have a 2.5i and am a conservative driver). But I figured this would be a good time to upgrade the pads.

After searching and reading endlessly here (so it seems) I think I'm set on getting the Hawk HPS pads (as well as upgrading to ATE Super Blue fluid)

But I have two questions first.

1. Are the pads I'm looking for these: http://www.frozenrotors.com/store/HB434F.543

2. What's the temperature range on those? I plan on using them year round and the Summers here can get up to 105 degrees air temp and the Winters in the mountains can get to 0 or so with majorly sh*tty road conditions.

Thanks in advance - I've learned a lot from you guys (and gals?).

also - I'm going to have rotors (where they rust brutally) and the calipers painted with some high quality paint

I believe that 2.5i use different pads from 2.5GT, so be careful about that.

As far as temperature range goes, I live in NYC. Today, the temperature was 10 degrees F out. The brakes make a bit of noise (you can feel them grinding) when you first drive off, but they bite just fine and the grinding feel disappears pretty quickly. I also had these pads during the tail end of the summer, and they worked well even after repeated hard applications.

These are significantly better than stock pads.

Make sure you break them in properly.

My HPS are completely silent, less dusty than OEM, and I have had no issues with them in 0-100F. Maybe they have a bit less bite for the first couple stops in 0-20F, but nothing to cause a worry in my experience. OEM bite is probably worse than HPS in all conditions I've encountered.

My HPS are completely silent, less dusty than OEM, and I have had no issues with them in 0-100F. Maybe they have a bit less bite for the first couple stops in 0-20F, but nothing to cause a worry in my experience. OEM bite is probably worse than HPS in all conditions I've encountered.

Would you by chance know the part number for the pads?

Did you get the ones they call "High performance Street Pads?"

Thanks in advance

HPS = High Performance Street :)

I have an LGT, so the part numbers won't be useful for a 2.5i. However, I did consider putting them on my 2008 OB 2.5i, and I believe the part numbers might be

front: HB432F.661

rear: HB557F.545

I bought my HPS from Eric at brakeswap.com (on the forums here as magnetic1), and would do business with him again. I would double check with him about part numbers.

--Lee

HPS = High Performance Street :)

*headsmack*

like I said, I'm learning a lot here ;)

I have an LGT, so the part numbers won't be useful for a 2.5i. However, I did consider putting them on my 2008 OB 2.5i, and I believe the part numbers might be

front: HB432F.661

rear: HB557F.545

I bought my HPS from Eric at brakeswap.com (on the forums here as magnetic1), and would do business with him again. I would double check with him about part numbers.

--Lee

thanks for the advice, I'll PM Eric and go from there.

Madjik,

Lee listed the correct part numbers needed. Lemme know if I can help, thanks.

thanks for showing up!

I'm apparently too moronic to find you on this site.

I'll send you a PM (that's the protocol, right?)

Also, can anyone help me out with this?

I took notes from a thread I read awhile ago and the poster said:

"The OEM pads use an organic binder that cooks out after a hard stop to a standstill and deposits on the rotors. That's what causes vibration under braking, not warped rotors. Turning the rotors will fix the problem, but it only lasts until the next hard stop. The solution is aftermarket pads. I like Hawk HPS pads, but they do dust noticeably (less than OEM). They bite better, and have a firmer pedal feel due to a different silencer shim design (don't try to use Subaru shims - they won't fit). The only annoyance I've found is a low rumbling/scraping sound during the first light stops of the day; they're silent after a firm stop from 40 mph or so. If dusting bothers you, try Hawk Ceramics; they give up some bite, but usually don't leave visible amounts of dust."

Do those shims come with the pads? Is it pretty straight forward for a service department to know what they're doing with the shims or do I have to specify anything?

OEM has two layers of shims, the inner of which is perforated and mine had rusted away to practically nothing. I cleaned up the outer shims and used them with the built-in "shims" on the HPS pads. It has worked fine for me. Brake grease between the shims and piston/caliper. No squeaks ever.

Some say to not use any additional shims with HPS. I'm thinking that could result in some noise. The purpose of separate shims is to provide some buffer for movement between components. But who knows...

--Lee

I use only the Hawk integrated shims, and my brakes squeak ever so slightly under mild braking. But my pedal feels pretty firm compared to before... I'd hate to stick a shim back in and have it feeling mushier.

When I installed Hawk HPS pads I found the stock shims needed a lot of cleanup to look good again. I refurbished them and put them back in with appropriate grease. The same went for the second set of Hawk HPS pads. My brakes were always perfect and never made a sound. I have no idea where anyone gets the idea that Subaru shims don't fit, but they're incorrect in the case of the 05 LGT for certain.

Now, I can see where some shop might explain away their refusal to invest the time and effort needed to refurbish those older shims, it's a pain to do it right, or to source new ones since AFAIK they only come with a new set of Subaru pads. Exactly what separates me from the work of such places and why I roll my own wherever possible.

People will say anything to sell things, from parts to ideas to excuses.

Caveat emptor.

Archived