LegacyGT.com

WTB STi rear lip spoiler

ellivnad

Any suggestions on where to get the STi rear lip spoiler for my LGT? Only place I've found it is from racecomp engineering and its $669! I realize that is retails at like 580 in Japan and then there is shipping, importing and such. Think I'll find it anywhere cheaper?
.o0O0o.

Alex - check the vendor forums. Paul and Ross at AVO are very involved on this board and are great about support. The std. JDM one comes prepainted in factory colors (it is an OEM option there). As for how it attaches......probably with doublestick tape....not big enough to need screws IMHO, but Paul can tellya for sure.

The STi lip spoiler will require you to drill mounting holes, as Legacy05GT's very well documented installation shows (see link above).

The Subaru JDM one, which I got through AVO, came with hardware to attach it, instructions (5 pages, in Japanese) and templates for drilling mounting holes. It also had adhesive tape around the bottom of it.

At, first I thought I'd have to get it installed by someone, not having the cajones to drill holes in the top of the trunk lid of my month old car. I test fitted it a few times and then decided that the adhesive tape should be enough to hold it since this lip only extends up or back a little, so there would be little leverage applied to it when used to close the trunk or if somebody happened to lean on it.

To insure good adhesion, I cleaned the paint surface where it would attach with a little tar and bug remover, a very gentle application of polishing compound, and a final whipe-down with a damp cloth to remove any residue.

I also wanted the surfaces around room temperature for good adhesion. No problem for the spoiler, it was waiting inside the house. But since I've got an unheated garage and it was cold out, I let a space heater run a while. It got the temperature up to near 50, but with that stone-cold concrete slab it wasn't going to get much warmer in there any time soon. The rear deck was still quite cold to the touch, so I just warmed up the Legacy's butt by putting an electric blanket over it. Ahhhhh, nice and toasty.

Foregoing the well engineered positioning templates (pictures are worth a 1000 words, but the words were still all Japanese to me), I used a little masking tape and a few pencil marks for positioning, stripped off the covering of the adhesive tape, and 3-2-1 touchdown, but very gently so I still had a chance to do a little minor final adjusting to get it just right. I then firmly applied pressure all along the spoiler to get the adhesive fully bonded to the paint.

I don't think I could even get a good enough grip on it, but if I could I'd really have to work on it to get it loose. And if I do want to remove it in the future, no holes.

Expensive plastic, but I'm happy with the results.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

TRS - How's the lip spoiler going? Just by using the adhesive alone (i.e. without making any holes) have you had any situations where its fallen off or may fall off?

e.g. driving fast in wet windy conditions, through snow, or heat (where the adhesive may loosen?) or through grabbing it whilst closing the boot?

Thanks in advance... am keen to find out! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Where is the STi replica spoiler at yo?

Who needs a replica when you can have the real thing??!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/stillwill/Myles%20pics/Wifeys%20Legacy%20wing/DSCN0521b.jpg

Product Link ----->http://gtworx.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1018

More Legacy Products -----> http://gtworx.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_26

Myles Williams

http://www.gtworx.com

http://www.racecompengineering.com

(410) 730-7223

• 1 month later...
TRS - How's the lip spoiler going? Just by using the adhesive alone (i.e. without making any holes) have you had any situations where its fallen off or may fall off?

e.g. driving fast in wet windy conditions, through snow, or heat (where the adhesive may loosen?) or through grabbing it whilst closing the boot?

Thanks in advance... am keen to find out! :)

Sorry for the delayed reply, but I just now saw your post.

Not problems whatsoever up to this point. The key for good adhesion is to make sure the surface to be mounted on is clean of any contaminants (road film, wax, oil from hands, etc.), is totally dry, and is warmed to at least room temperature. Also, when you first go to mount it just let it sit on the surface lightly so you can make any minor adjustments to positioning that are needed. Once it's just right then apply firm pressure all along the length of it to insure a good strong bond.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived