LegacyGT.com

Tokico struts + Rallitek/Stock Spring - good for LGT wagon(5EAT)?

eqt2010

I'm leaning towards Tokico struts for now but not sure which spring is better for it. I want to keep stock ride height/quality as much as possible. Any suggestion?

BTW, no matter what spring I pick, do I need another pair of rear spring pads since the Tokico needs USDM Spec.B tophats and it will make the front about 1/2" higher?

Thanks.

forget about the tokikos and get koni struts. they will alow you to keep the stock springs and your rideheight will remain the same. pluss you will save money since the koni's are cheaper and you wont have to add spring pads since the konis use the USDM gt tophats.

^Yeah, I'm thinking about Koni too, but I want to keep my stock struts. If I can find used stock one for cheap, I'll go for Koni for sure.

Is there any difference(ride quality, performance, etc.) between Koni and Tokico?

Another question:

Can anyone compare the ride quality between Koni/Tokico and Stock struts(using stock spring for both)? My wife will kill me if the ride quality of Koni/Tokico is too harsh or bumpy. :(

I have Konis with stock springs and the ride is very good, in fact smoother over RR tracks and bump. My wife noticed the car felt better. As far as keeping your old struts, chances are they are pretty much gone. When I made the switch to Konis at x-mas my car had 65k on the clock and I figured the struts still had life. Thing is the struts degrade slowly over time so you really don't realize how bad they are until they separated from the spring. I would recommend trying to find a set of donor struts if you have some time. Nice thing about a pair of donor struts is you can do all the cutting before hand and if you mess up you still have another set and the car is still driveable. Be sure to get a really good spring compressor when you do the fronts, there are just soo few colis that it can be a bit of a trick to compress them.

On a separate note I wish we could get a slightly stiffer set of springs without dropping the car 1 inch or more.

• 2 months later...
tokico will be less $ by far. I'm going to get the tokico's for 471$ front and back. 100$ for spec b top hats and 200-300 for springs. I thought the koni were close to 1000-1200.

Koni's are $625 shipped right now through Crucial Racing, but they are on backorder.

I have the Tokico HTS with Swift springs. The Tokico set up is cheaper and easier to install than the Konis. The Tokicos are more than adjustable enough, they go from softer than stock to much stiffer than stock. When you use the Spec B top hats the front will sit higher. I don't recommend using two spring pads as this causes preload. I used the 3/8" "saggy butt shims" instead and my car sits nice and level.

The difference between Konis and Tokicos can be dabated until the end of time. Its a personal preference really.

As far as the spring compressor, I was able to safely break down my fronts and rears with no spring compressor needed. The top nut is under very little pressure from the spring assembly. With lowering springs there is no pressure.

I have the Tokico HTS with Swift springs. The Tokico set up is cheaper and easier to install than the Konis. The Tokicos are more than adjustable enough, they go from softer than stock to much stiffer than stock. When you use the Spec B top hats the front will sit higher. I don't recommend using two spring pads as this causes preload. I used the 3/8" "saggy butt shims" instead and my car sits nice and level.

The difference between Konis and Tokicos can be dabated until the end of time. Its a personal preference really.

As far as the spring compressor, I was able to safely break down my fronts and rears with no spring compressor needed. The top nut is under very little pressure from the spring assembly. With lowering springs there is no pressure.

Just curious, who are some venders that carry the Tokico struts?

When you use the Spec B top hats the front will sit higher. I don't recommend using two spring pads as this causes preload. I used the 3/8" "saggy butt shims" instead and my car sits nice and level.

So, just to be sure. You did use the shims to raise the back and level it to the front ? Will I have the same problem with a sedan ?

I did not get mine from a legacygt.com vendor. But, Mach V Dan sells them and he is a vendor.

Yes, I used the shims to "level" the car. I am using this set up on my '08 LGT sedan. I am actually using the wagon specific Swift springs to make up for the weight of the stereo system. The wagon springs are slightly longer to make up for the extra 60lbs or so that a wagon carries in the rear. I have read that the "saggy butt shims" help both the wagons and sedans achieve a "level" look.

not to be rude, but a search of "saggy butt shims" gave my that link ! :)

Thanks m sprank, I'll look into this, btw, I got like 10 month infront of me for that ! hehe

Archived