LegacyGT.com

Spec B or Audi 2.0T

cycl42

I currently have a '05 Sti with 95,000 miles. It is lightly modded with 270 whp, rear wing removed and smaller hoodscoop. I created my own Sti Limited. I am looking at replacing it with a less firm ride. Previously had a '02 Wrx wagon no problems. We also have a Legacy GT Limited automatic no problems. I had a '98 A4 and wife had a 2000 S4 Automatic. Both Audi's were in the shop far more than the Subaru's. I put on a lot of miles for my business, so maintenance is an issue.

I am looking at a Audi 2.0T sport package or an '08 Spec B, or '07 BMW 335i without any options. Anyone have experience with the newer Audi's or BMW's?

I almost purchased an Audi 2.0T Quattro. Here is my opinion, versus the SpecB - I'd buy the Audi. Simply because at the price the SpecB costs I'd want the Audi interior. However, between the two I opted for the regular GT because you can get them for under $27k and compared to both the Audi 2.0T and the SpecB it's simply an incredible value, especially if you're wanting a softer ride as I was.

The 335i would be pretty cool, but be sure you look into whatever is the current state of knowledge on the engine. I know it's an open deck design, I've heard there have been situations of over heating when mag tested, and there is something to do with it not having an oil cooler / BMW now adding one.....I'm not sure, just look into that prior to purchase. I think you'll have to order it because I it's doubtful and 335i strippers are on the lot anywhere. It's too hot of a seller dealers want max margin on them. You could try your hand at Euro-delivery.

My dad's A6 had a plethera of problems and issues, some that were unfixable such as squealing brakes. It was a lease thankfully and thats my reccomendation for Audi. Lease, don't own. However, if you are putting 95,000 miles on a car in a 3 year period you would obviously have to buy and I would say go with the Spec. B. It will be more like your STi and siginificantly more reliable.

I don't know if it means anything to you or not but I'll state this anyway.

I'd trade my car (2005 GT Limited) for an Audi A3 with the 2.0T motor now if I wasn't spending the money elsewhere (new appliances for the home).

I was in the same position about 6 months ago. I chose the Legacy. They are all really nice but when I factored in AWD, 6speed, Navi it just was not even close. I think the Legacy is such a better value, cheaper to maintain, less of a "status" car. The Spec-B rides very smooth and has everything that I would need. Have you test driven all of them? I suggest you do. Also, are you going to modify at all? My biggest complaint with the Legacy was the suspension and it's softness and desire to sway. A little money and this can all be remedied easily.

I purchased my Spec b simply because it is an ultra limited production vechile; so its rare... I test drove all three cars mentioned, and yes, the bmw is sick!!!... A true luxury performance vechile... I won't lie... And the Audi is worth the money... But in the end, I was so impressed by the underdog because it just seemed like how can I compare it to the others... The Spec B is a true SLEEPER and thats what I wanted...

There are several things to consider about this. With the Audi if you want the maintanance done for warranty, then you have to buy the warranty package (around $800 I think). The BMW come with it, the Subaru you pay out of pocket.

Kind of a price difference going. As someone else said if you can live with it, you can get just a regular LGT and save a lot of cash. Then of course you could get a spec B or 3.0.R. The spec B can cost you around $35-$36k. The AUdi will almost definately cost you around $40k with less stuff (ei. nav, memory seats, 250hp, etc.). The Audi has the least hp of the bunch, but probably the best interior. Depending on whether or not you get the sport package or not they don't ride at all harsh and are more then comfortable for everyday use. THe BMW as far as I know is at this time only rwd and its the most expensive of the group. Even with snow tires this car is going to be a handful if you have to drive in snow. Everyone it seems on Subaru sites are pro BMW and anti Audi even though BMW's have about as much reliablity. Also I would think the BMW has i-drive which is pure garbage. Neither the Subaru or Audi have that type of system (Subaru not at all, and Audi in the higher line stuff).

All in all with all the driving you do, would you really want a manual trans while you're stuck in traffic? That's the only way a spec B comes. YOu could opt of a 3.0R which has the spec B suspension and most the goodies or downgrade to a LGT 2.5T and get a lot of the stuff for cheaper. If it snows or you are going to have to drive in snow I'd forget the BMW cause I passed way to many of them last winter with only an inch on the ground.

spec. B is by far a better driving vehicle then the Audi 2.0T. Audi has one of nicest interiors but so does the Acura TL or new G35 aren't that far behind.

If you want to see a great interior you should check out the new MB C class. C class is pretty good driving car too.

IMO you should stay away from the 335i or N52 engine for a bit. Wait until BMW sorts out some of the issues(cylinder 5&6 overheating, fuel pump failures, failure of diff from clutch dumps or from rough shifting on MT). Especially if you plan on keeping the car for then a year or two. I didn't like the sports pack on 335i sedan that I drove, it was more harsh then the current M3's suspension. Lack of LSD on this car is a real killjoy. You can add a quaife for $1650 USD + labour but that voids your powertrain warranty(which you probably don't want to void as of now). Also, I really dislike the 335i interior. The dash plastics(hard and unfinished) are worst then the original G35.

Audi's aren't known to be the most reliable cars. Although, I have been hearing less problems about the A4. However, people seem to be buying less A4's around where I live. My friend had a 2001 A4 and that was an nightmare reliability wise. He went and got an 2003 BMW 540i and just had to replace three cats(known issue), dash board gremlins and traction control/ABS don't function.

Although, I think the A4 will get better gas mileage then a spec. B. Something to think about if you drive alot and gas mileage is a priority.

My vote is for a regular GT. If you think the suspension is too loose, it's an easy fix. Those who think they are getting something special, rare or different when they buy a SpecB are mistaken. Also, why would you pay more German quirkyness?

IF you're happy with Subaru's and aren't into status type cars then you'd be happy with a LGT be it a regular,spec B or 3.0R. I hate to acknowledge this, but I have probably the most experience with Audi since that's what I work on. For the price I honestly don't think Audi's are worth it. Many articles have said very similiar things about their price. I've seen A3's with a sticker of $40k+ and thats the starter car. If you want a fun driving Audi, personally I would look towards a A3 3.2L (think of it as a 4dr R32). DSG lets you be lazy in traffic, you can paddle shift it when you want to have fun, its awd(mind you a haldex set up which isn't real awd, and as much power as the LGT. Its pretty nimble too. Again I would suggest drving them all and then making a decision. However if you have Audi on the mind I would look at the A3 3.2L and then the A4. If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them.

i would recommend against a new car. if you're the road warrior you appear to be, you're getting killed on depreciation. i should know, i am (but will soon cease being) a 40K+ per year driver. look to getting a used LGT for a song and drive it till it dies or you get sick of it.

you can pick up a stock one with 20K miles on it for 18-20K. drive it three years for ~80K miles and sell it for 10K. buy a 335i or A4 and see the car drop ~45-55% in three years with 80K miles (18-23K):eek:

if it were me again, i would go the nice car/beater route. when i first started commuting, i should have leased a nice sports car (like an m3) and bought a reliable beater. oh well, you learn.

just my 2 cents.

can get a spec. b 2008 new for $31,500 including destination charge. A BMW will cost you 5-8 grand more and suspect audi the same and that is for a 2007 which is at the end of the model year. I just did the economics and it didn't work for either of the german cars. they are truly wonderful vehicles but quite expensive...

Thanks for all the replys, some good thoughts here.

I'm now down to about three cars, the spec B which I can get at invoice, the 2007 A4 2.0T manual which I can get at invoice, and a used 2006 A4 2.0T Avant, manual. I'm most interested in the total cost to own, and have been looking at Edmunds site for that, and fuel economy.gov to see fuel economy. The three cars come out pretty close, with the Audi's getting better mileage, and depreciation, but worse repair and maintenance costs.

I like the looks of the Audi better, but the Subaru can be fixed to look like the B4 which looks great. Still undecided.

if i were you, i wouln't buy the 2007 Bmw 335i! my dad has one, and it is an 07 with 8k miles on it. he was driving around 60 normally (my dad babies the hell out of this car) and the engine died completely. just shut off while the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree with "engine failure" "service engine" and all kinds of other lights. we just took it to the shop today, after reading about alot of the 2007 cars having oil cooler issues and fuel pump failures. people say they have been waiting 2 months for their cars, and still haven't gotten them back yet. we went to the chev dealer where my dad usually buys his cars, and hes already made plans to get rid of the 335i for an 08 c6 vette. do not buy a 2007. f u want a 335i, wait a year or two untill they have the kinks worked out..

http://www.topix.net/forum/autos/bmw-335i/T0OJ7C7DMQJ7ERRUF

i would go with the spec B if i were you...

My dreams of getting the 335i are pretty much squashed. I just re-enlisted for 30k and I just can't pull myself to lose 10k in my current Spec B (trade in)just to have the bimmer. It's sooo sexy and I want it really bad, but I would rather just save the money and get one later.

335i just has too many problems at the moment. Most of BMW's traditional tuners won't seriously bump up the power because of issues with the engine at stock power levels.

IMO I wouldn't call the 335i sedan or coupe sexy, much better iteration of the "bangle" styling though. G35 coupe is much better looking but I guess looks are subjective.....

Legacy has a lost of OEM ways to enhance the exterior appearance but can't really improve the interior much.

My biggest beef is that many of silver painted plastic parts should be aluminum. I wish there was an OEM solution for this....

Although, the plastics are nice and soft on Legacy dash and door cards can't say that about the 3 series.

335i just has too many problems at the moment. Most of BMW's traditional tuners won't seriously bump up the power because of issues with the engine at stock power levels.

Most of the issues are people ignoring the break in period.

What about the failed fuel pumps, high cylinder 5&6 temps and faultly engine oil level sensors(they don't have manual dip sticks) and abnormally endorsed high normal old temps(BMW says it's ok for 250 F engine temps!!)?

Also, never dump the clutch or shift to had on MT 335i. At the BMW dealership closest to me they have already replaced 3 diffs. Just way to many serious bugs with 335i or the N54 drivetrain.

Although, I'm sure in a year or two BMW will figure it out. Until then I would stay away just because of realiability concerns.

this thread surely delivers...2 audi employees recommending subaru should be convincing enough for anyone.

I'd get a used/tastefully modded 05/06 LGT LTD and add some more suitable mods and save money in the process. You definitely put too many miles and getting a brand new vehicle is a depreciation black hole for you.

Archived