LegacyGT.com

SRT-4 goes BOOM! (kinda long)

I went to the Mopar Nationals evening event last night. Every year, the Mopar guys stay on Brice road in Columbus and every year it gets rowdy. They have burn out boxes in the hotel parking lot, in restaurant parking lots... and last night... in the parking lot of a bank. It is really crazy stuff.

I never bring any of my cars out due to the number of drunk people and reckless driving... but I like to go watch the chaos. :lol:

Anyhow... last night... a kid pulls into the waterbox with his BRAND NEW SRT-4. It was that Copper/Orange metallic color... pretty nice looking car.

He pulls the E-brake to hold the car.... then brings up the revs and dumps the clutch.....the motor is just screaming, but the passenger side tire isn't turning. I'm thinking to myself that these things all have positraction and somthing isn't right.... it has to be the clutch slipping.

By the time I process what is happening (a few seconds) and I get moving towards the car yelling STOP STOP STOP... it's too late. The clutch and pressureplate explode into 8-10 pieces and scrapnel files out from under the car... along with sparks, oil, and antifreeze. Luckily no one got hurt.

I got to survey the damage afterward... and it wasn't pretty. A section of the pressure plate shattered the bellhousing, came out and hit the intake manifold, CRACKING IT IN HALF, then hitting the radiator and crushing it.

At a bare minimum the kid is going to need a new transmission, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, linkage, intake manifold, throttle body, radiator, condenser, A/C lines, and engine wiring harness. This is the stuff that I saw that was ruined. There is probably going to be more....

no pics? BAN!!!

I had a chunk of the pressure plate I was going to bring home and photograph for you all... but the guy wanted all of the pieces back for some reason.

Too bad I didn't have my camera with me....

I went to the Mopar Nationals evening event last night. Every year, the Mopar guys stay on Brice road in Columbus and every year it gets rowdy. They have burn out boxes in the hotel parking lot, in restaurant parking lots... and last night... in the parking lot of a bank. It is really crazy stuff.

I never bring any of my cars out due to the number of drunk people and reckless driving... but I like to go watch the chaos. :lol:

Anyhow... last night... a kid pulls into the waterbox with his BRAND NEW SRT-4. It was that Copper/Orange metallic color... pretty nice looking car.

He pulls the E-brake to hold the car.... then brings up the revs and dumps the clutch.....the motor is just screaming, but the passenger side tire isn't turning. I'm thinking to myself that these things all have positraction and somthing isn't right.... it has to be the clutch slipping.

By the time I process what is happening (a few seconds) and I get moving towards the car yelling STOP STOP STOP... it's too late. The clutch and pressureplate explode into 8-10 pieces and scrapnel files out from under the car... along with sparks, oil, and antifreeze. Luckily no one got hurt.

I got to survey the damage afterward... and it wasn't pretty. A section of the pressure plate shattered the bellhousing, came out and hit the intake manifold, CRACKING IT IN HALF, then hitting the radiator and crushing it.

At a bare minimum the kid is going to need a new transmission, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, linkage, intake manifold, throttle body, radiator, condenser, A/C lines, and engine wiring harness. This is the stuff that I saw that was ruined. There is probably going to be more....

Thats funny the same exact thing happened to my buddy. He had an 05 black srt-4, he was burning out too. It was fun to watch as well, the car finally poppet when he hit 3rd gear. The damage sounds exactly the same, you could see the ring gear on the flywheel under the car and the intake manifold crack too. :lol: For some reason they denied warrenty work on it :lol:

...What the heck is left to have not busted, the stereo?:lol:

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

Common occurance with sachs peices of garbage.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34424&highlight=sacks+sachs

This is why my POS Sachs DMF is coming out this thursday and an ACT streetlite is going in with an RPS Max.

There is an occurance of a Sachs Flywheel Cracking under Normal use by one of our members.

That is EXACTLY how his failed.... but being that the motor is transverse mounted... it did ALOT more damage.....

I had a chunk of the pressure plate I was going to bring home and photograph for you all... but the guy wanted all of the pieces back for some reason.

probably for:lol: his warranty claim:lol:

Too bad I didn't have my camera with me....

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I hope this idiot has to walk while his car is being fixed and gets a lot of time to contemplate his abuse of machinery. Do these morons think real life is like GT4 (no damage modeling)?
It is still ugly.

lmao! now that is funny.... what did he think would happen?? bet he'll be one unhappy NEW customer, especially when they tell him, NO that's NOT covered under warranty!
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

wow, that's some serious ownage!

IMO, because a couple of units go bad doesn't mean Sachs is a POS. I've never heard of such a failure on VWs.. who use Sachs. Aftermarket or new for that matter.

I don't know, I think you are jumping to conclusions. Its great that you and another user feel that Sachs is a POS.. no need to try to get others in the bandwagon.

"I tried to abuse my car, but it wouldn't take it. That clutch manufacturer is such a POS." :rolleyes:

Not saying that its what happened to the LGT users.. but its what happens to the SRT users.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

If the pressure plate was fuxord then that would likely have been the cause, not just his stupidity....

He pulls the E-brake to hold the car.... then brings up the revs and dumps the clutch.....the motor is just screaming

It IS his stupidity. It isn't a flippin' prostocker designed to take such abuse, it's a regular car.

It is still ugly.

Archived