LegacyGT.com

Rear End Grinding/clicking Sound?

I have a 1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5. I have searched the web and forums and cannot seem to find a definite answer. I have been experiencing problems with my car while turning at low speeds. Does not matter whether I am in reverse or forward it does it either way. The rear end of the car grinds/clicks and hesitates as a make turns at low speeds(under 20mph). Any speed above about 20mph this problem does not occur. I have been told that it may be the rear diff or cv joints. I am just not sure which it is and how i can go about diagnosing it.

Take a look at all the rubber boots that are on the cv joints if any are ripped and dry, if you can and are safe about it get your car on four jackstands and listen to the wheels turn..if you have a 5 speed you will need a friend to put it in gear and rev up to around 1500-2000rpm. You don't need the wheels to spin fast just enough to hear the rotations...if you have an automatic put it in first gear and let your foot off the brake. You can do this with the wheels off too so you can get a hammer and use the wooden handle as a listening device. If you hear these noises with no weight on the car it could just be your bearings.

If you pick your car up be very careful where you put the jackstands, DO NOT put the stands on the factory pinch weld used for changing a tire they will bend and your car will be on the floor. If you aren't comfortable with it take it to a shop that has a two or four post car lift to diagnose these issues.

Archived