LegacyGT.com

Cable clutch to hydro conversion and other 5mt RHD issues.

So I've run into a major snag on my engine swap project with the postal. Im installing a 5mt in it along with the good EJ22 from my rusty car. Both cars are 1995 year models. I was going to try use the pedal assembly from the donor car, but it turns out that the postal has the steering column between the brake and the clutch pedal. On the LHD car, the clutch and brake are on one assembly and bolt to the booster.

Now seeing as the postal has the hole for a master cylinder, I'm thinking of converting to a hydro clutch. Is the pedal assembly its own unit on a LHD car? There is a 3rd gen in the local LKQ that has a manual that i may go check out to see if it will work.

Also, whats needed on the transmission side of things?

There's some info here: http://www.cars101.com/postlsub.html

that would indicate that the 4eat was standard on postals, and even if it were an option, I'm guessing very few were made with a manual transmission since it's a pita for delivering mail. Probably the easiest way would be to check the factory parts catalog and see if there is a RHD assembly.

I know that a clutch pedal was made for RHD cars since they have them over seas. After looking at a 3rd gen in the junk yard today, I've come to the conclusion that I will have to find someone in the UK or Australia that is breaking a car and buy the parts I need from them.

What started as a get it done in a week project has turned into a much longer project.

Archived