LegacyGT.com

What size wheels and tires to run on a 97 Legacy wagon?

BShow

Hey guys, im probably gonna buy a 97 Legacy Brighton wagon. I've got a set of WRX wheels with 225 50's on them. What size tires can you run on these cars without rubbing issues? It will be stock suspension, at least for the time being.

As long as you're running WRX rims, the offset (53 or 55 depending on year) and center bore (56.1mm) will work perfectly on your BG chassis.

The 225/50 x 16 is probably not the best tire to use with these rims as the 225 section width is a bit too much for the 6.5" WRX rim. A better size (and the stock WRX size) is a 205/50 x16 which is what I run on my 99 Legacy wagon (also a BG chassis with 98 6.5 x 16 LGT Rims) but you could reasonably run a 215/50 x16 (depending on section width) with no fitment issues. I think for safety's sake that you'd not want to run the 225s on that narrow a rim.

Check out Keefe's (Zenonk's) sticky on Offsets, Rim and Tire Sizes. It refers to the 4th gen GT (BL/BP Chassis) but the tire to rim fitment is a good gouge to follow. http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=68297&postcount=1. Also check out this Tire size / Rim Width Calculator... http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk/Fitment.asp?psearch=Subaru

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

cool thanks for the reply.

im more concerned about rubbing issues on the wagon.

I've run 225s on my stock WRX rims for about 15k now with no problems at all on my wrx sedan. I know people that have run them at track days(road course, not drag) and many autocrosses with nothing but success. While I know its not ideal to use a 225 tire on a narrow rim, i know it works. I've got them now, just wondering if i should just sell them and get some 205's or 215's on stock wrx rims.

cool thanks for the reply.

im more concerned about rubbing issues on the wagon.

I've run 225s on my stock WRX rims for about 15k now with no problems at all on my wrx sedan. I know people that have run them at track days(road course, not drag) and many autocrosses with nothing but success. While I know its not ideal to use a 225 tire on a narrow rim, i know it works. I've got them now, just wondering if i should just sell them and get some 205's or 215's on stock wrx rims.

Like I mentioned above, the 225s with the proper offset (and the WRX offset will work), should fit up with no problems. You may have to pull the rear inner fender plastic edging off if you get rubbing under load. Otherwise, they should fit up fine.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived