LegacyGT.com

What causes loose axle splines?

I sometimes get a thunk when I accelerate, and for the longest time I thought it was just some slop in the rear differential. Today I was under my car and I noticed that I can twist the rear passenger-side axle and it has play inside of the hub. It's not the CV joint that is bad, like the whole assembly twists back and forth maybe by 1 mm on the outer edge... as if the splines are loose. I think that might actually be the source of the clunk as the axle bumps forward by 2-3 degrees and re-engages the hub.

How does this kind of wear even occur? I checked the axle nut, as that was the only thing I could think of that would cause that to occur if it was loose, but it wasn't. Any ideas? Those parts shouldn't really wear like that if everything is properly installed. I don't plan on doing anything unless it actually gets to the point where it starts slipping, but anyone know how this might have occurred to begin with?

Yeah, you may be right. I'm not certain where the clunking is coming from, and I'm sure there is SOME play in the diff considering the mileage, but I could swear the clunking is coming from the right rear, so this would make sense.

In either case, clunking or not, I'm still curious as to how this spline issue happens, or what I might want to look for as the cause.

Archived