LegacyGT.com

95 Legacy new valve cover gaskets - oil leak

Today I installed new valve cover gaskets sets and hoped to stop the smoking from burning oil. It didn't stop it. The gaskets are not leaking. It is still leaking oil from what looks to be onto the cat convertor. Darn!

Not familiar with the subbie engines but I am aware of the problem of the plastic cover on the engine. I remember seeing an engine that was out of the car and looking at the installed metal replacement cover.

If this turns out to be the plastic cover problem can it be fixed with the engine in the car?

This engine runs great with only two problems -

1. Intermittent EGR code
  2. Oil leak

I only wish I could get the 97 2.5 Outback to run as smooth as the 95 2.2.

Hello;

Went thru this also and replaced the following. Resealed the oil pump, camshaft seals, valve cover gaskets, and checked the pan. Oil sender unit was replaced. Still had a leak on the exhaust pipes and discovered the steering rack seals were leaking. A can of Lucas quickly solved this problem. Maybe a drip here or there but quite manangeable, Steven.

Funny you should mention the steering rack seals. Lat night in the dark I went out with my flashlight to look around. I find that a flashlight at night can pinpoint things on an engine that in the day gets lost in the shadows.

Anyhow I saw the power steering leaking on the pipe. It must be a small leak because it never needs power steering fluid. I believe the leak on the driveway is from the pan.

Hello;

Went thru this also and replaced the following. Resealed the oil pump, camshaft seals, valve cover gaskets, and checked the pan. Oil sender unit was replaced. Still had a leak on the exhaust pipes and discovered the steering rack seals were leaking. A can of Lucas quickly solved this problem. Maybe a drip here or there but quite manangeable, Steven.

I believe the leak on the driveway is from the pan.

the factory oil pan gasket does not often leak.

of course it can, and i'm sure some do, but usually it is another leak that LOOKS like it from the oil pan. like the oil separator plate on the rear of the block. or even a front cam seal leak that migrates to the rear along the oil pan seal while driving.

buy some ''brake clean'' and spray it off. then look every day to see what gets oily first.

the leak is most likely located near the highest and / or front most oily spot.

I was having the same "leaking oil" issues you described on my wagon. Did the timing belt and replaced all the seals and o-rings suggested above and that made a huge difference. Still have a slight leak in the power steering rack so I may try the Lucas treatment to see if that buys me some time.

I was having the same "leaking oil" issues you described on my wagon. Did the timing belt and replaced all the seals and o-rings suggested above and that made a huge difference. Still have a slight leak in the power steering rack so I may try the Lucas treatment to see if that buys me some time.

same with my wagon. thats why hes named smokey.did all the front seals with the engine still in, just yanked the radiator for tool room. no more smoke or drips. i still have a bit of a seep from the PS somewhere, but it doesnt get to the exhaust.

Mine is most defiantly coming from where the pwr steering hose attaches to the lines that go to the rack. The joint sits directly above the exhaust pipe. The darn joint is rusted like crazy, I've used PB Blaster several times allowing it to soak but the things will not loosen. Plus they aren't in the easiest location.

I own two subbies and I"m a bit PO'd at both right now. I am finding that parts for the subbies are more expensive than my 90 Jag XJ6. I can get a FPR for $45 on the Jag and the Subbie is over $100. There are other parts that had the same ratio and I am not talking dealer pricing. I despise oil leaks on the driveway and from the list subbies like to leak. Going crazy trying to keep the subbie puddles off the driveway.:spin:

same with my wagon. thats why hes named smokey.did all the front seals with the engine still in, just yanked the radiator for tool room. no more smoke or drips. i still have a bit of a seep from the PS somewhere, but it doesnt get to the exhaust.

Archived