LegacyGT.com

Car audio noob HELP!

XxCAUTIONxX

Well for the legacys Subaru decided to be dicks and integrate the stereo to the climate control. So not cheap to upgrade the stereo for audio outs for a sub.

But what do you mean you don't know what you need. You mean like at all or to hook a sub to our car.

If you don't know at all I'd recommend doing some more research. The last thin you wanna do is walk into best buy and ask some tool bag what sub you should get. Most likely he will be some Honda driver that will point you to some shitty setup just because it has a lot of bass.

To hook a sub up to our cars I'd recommend a jl clean sweep to grab audio out from the rear speakers.

And as far as your rattle from a stock speaker my guess it that it's probably blown. All you can do is replace it.

To hook a sub up to our cars I'd recommend a jl clean sweep to grab audio out from the rear speakers.

So what the CleanSweep makes it so i dont need to replace my head unit right? and then when i go to buy a sub should i get one thats enclosed already with and amp or buy an amp separate?

Yes the jl clean sweep allows you to grab the audio output from the rear speaker outs instead of needing an aftermarket head unit. And it seems to be one of the best on the market. I personally have yet to use one because I've never been a fan of this route. But it's widely used by people on our site.

But as far as a sub and amp goes it really depends on what you want out of your set up and what you are willing to spend. Most set ups don't come with an amp unless its some cheap kit.

But if you want a lot of cheap bass that's sounds like ass them by all means by one of these kits. But if you want some good clean bass your gonna spend more but it will sound better. As far as a pre boxed sub you need to decide if you just want a box sliding around your trunk or if you want a custom box that actually fits in your trunk.

I can't give much advice on whats needed to bypass what or to make X work with Z since I haven't picked up a Legacy yet so I'll let others chime in on that. I will say.. every time I had to work with the clean sweep it was a PITA...

Of the whole JL line the only sub of theirs I liked was the w6. I would also look at Boston Acoustics, a/d/s/, Sound Stream.

Do you even have an idea what kind of sub you want? SPL, SQ, Cross, Slot port, port, enclosed, etc etc etc...

OP, you have a 2.5i so unless its a special edition/limited, you have manual climate controls which makes it way easier and cheaper to upgrade.

What is your budget and what are you looking for out of your stereo?

'08 Legacy 2.5i - hybrid intake - delta 1000 - E85 - magnaflow exhaust

• 2 weeks later...

Well it looks like this no longer applies to the OP since he doesn't have the limited (harmon kardon) interior, but I was following this thread and have some questions as I'm also looking into a speaker install (with the limited interior).

First of all, I have a Kicker 600W 4ch amp that I would like to use. Before my legacy, I had it hooked up to two 12" Kicker subs in my old Blazer (which I still have). Now I definitely want a strong base and better sound in general, but I also want to maintain my trunk space and still be able to fold down my rear seats and utilize that space as well. So with all that said, I think ideally I'd like to have two channels bridged to power a sub and the other two powering aftermarket rear speakers (I haven't really gotten as far as looking into fit for specific models, but I've heard two setups with Alpine Type-R's and really liked them).

So all that said here are the questions I have. First of all, where is a good place to mount the amp? I know I could mount it to the back of the rear seat, but I'd definitely prefer to hide it somewhere if possible. Next, any recommendations on a sub? I think the only real option is to replace the rear deck speaker since I definitely don't want a box taking up trunk space. I know that there are special subs designed for this (forgot what they're called) and they essentially are tuned to utilize the trunk as the enclosure. I just have absolutely no experience with this type of sub so I'd definitely appreciate any reccomendations or reviews from anyone who has used one (i.e. quality, brand, etc.). Even though I'm almost positive the answer is no, what are the chances that I could cut the hole wider and drop my old 12" kicker in?

Finally, I had read about the JL Cleansweep before and saw mostly good reviews and it looks like a LOC is the only real option for me. Acrux - what was your issue with it? I took a look at JL's site and I believe the one I need is the CL441:

http://www.jlaudio.com/cl441dsp-car-audio-oem-integration-98110

But looking through it, $300 is really expensive considering what I need it for. Any quality alternative that doesn't have all those unneeded functions?

Thanks for the help!

Archived