LegacyGT.com

New knock sensor...???

Ok...so I have a '91 2.2L and it started running really bad so I changed out the knock sensor...now the car doesn't start! I read up and watched a few videos about how to change them out and followed what they did. On one of the videos they talk about the voltage at the sensor 5v to it and 2.5v when operating...I have almost 8 volts there. I'm kinda at a loss at what to do next. Anyone have any ideas?

Paul.

Hello;

Check the resistance of the new knock sensor, should be around 512K ohms. Did you swap the old sensor back in to see if the car fired up? Go to the only sticky we have and see if there are any stored codes in the ECU. While you are there, download the FSM, Steven.

I did try and swap back to the old knock sensor and have the same results...the only thing I can think of is that the old sensor wasn't working and allowed the engine to run while another problem was occurring; now that the new sensor is in place it's catching the problem and not allowing the car to start. It's either that or the new sensor is bad...but the fact that re-installing the old sensor didn't allow me to start the car suggests that I screwed something up by installing the new sensor...or the computer has disabled the engine and I need to fix the other fault before it will run. I checked the codes and I'm getting the 22 knock sensor and the 42 idle switch faults.

Archived