LegacyGT.com

Corners, reverse, brake, and blinkers....

evil_O

Were all tinted tonight. I know I know... this thread is worthless without pics. My intention however is not to show them yet.... but to tell you what a pain in the a$$ they were for me to install.

Mind you, I am not "Mr. 3M" and this was my first time tackling this sort of thing... but I got er done. It took 3 hours almost on the nose... this includes prep and clean up. Let me just say, I could not have done this tonight if it was not for the wife, holding lights and assisting the entire night - including helping me wash the car before I started tinting the lights. I even used her scrapbooking exacto :dm:

I think the other thing that made this difficult is the time - I prolly should have waited till daylight but I am an instant gratification kind of person. I would still be out there (garage) doing the tails if this cold was not starting to take hold...

Those of you considering this, be prepared for some triming and some frustrating moments - if you have never done this type of thing. I went with dark smoke all around with the exception of the blinkers, and so far so go. I am going to have to see the HID tint (blinkers) in the daylight to determine if I like it or not - on an ABP wagon - ... but I love the look of everything else so far.

I will be tackling the tails this weekend when I have more time, daylight, and I feel better. Once they are done I will post pics... until then this post is really ... well.. wothless;)

if you are worried about the tails, take them off and do them in the house :D I did that on my first set, it was easier....i've done a few now and can do them on the car real easy!

GOOD LUCK MAN....pics when done ;)

Why do you have to live in MA? Huh? Why? :)

I am in fear of the tails. I think the hardest of all - for last night - were the blinkers/mirrors. Those were pi$$ing me off!:mad: The use of a blow dryer was a must... oh yea.. and that exacto knife.

I think I will do better (for the tails) once I am feeling better and have more time. The tails however, do NOT look easy.

I am not sure I like the HID on the car (blinkers) yet. I have not had a lot of time to stare at them so it could just be that. In any event if I do not like them, I can get those on a bit easier now - if I decide to go smoke on them.

Hot-Subaru was great to deal with. Ordered on a Friday and everything got her yesterday! :)

Did I mention how EASY the reverse lights were??? Holy crap - that kit was designed for a guy like me.

The third brake light does not quite cover as I was expecting. It covers what you can see while standing straight on and looking at it but... there housing 'wraps' under the wing, and that is not covered by the piece provided. I am wondering if I got the right brake light piece :confused: I may contact HS and find out about this.

I will try and take some pics tonight depending on how I am feeling. If I get them done I will post what I have so far and let ya see.

Interesting, my 3rd brake light covered it all, i had to streach it a lil but it covered it.....

The set I just ordered from Jinsu power (stacked overlays) fit like a glove no trim'n so they are even easier.

Hot-subaru guys rock.....their kit is def harder to put on, but the tint is better quality! just use lots of the sip solution (warm water) leave one tiny corner dry, stick the corner down so it is stuck, then work your way out pulling hard now that the corner will hold........that should help a lil!!

Oh and a GOOD squeegie makes a big diff when getting the water out and bubbles

I think the hardest of all - for last night - were the blinkers/mirrors. Those were pi$$ing me off!:mad: The use of a blow dryer was a must... oh yea.. and that exacto knife. I think I will do better (for the tails) once I am feeling better and have more time. The tails however, do NOT look easy.

Congratulations on getting most of your order on! I just checked the weather yesterday in CO, and it got down to a COLD 60 degrees last night. These are way easier to install when it is hot. And as the directions suggest, a hair dryer can help things along. Not sure what you were trimming on the mirrors? Did you stretch them out putting them on dry a few times? They should have laid down pretty well when you get the alignment right. And yes the mirrors should be done dry.

Hot-Subaru was great to deal with. Ordered on a Friday and everything got her yesterday! :)

Thanks, we do try and get all the orders out as quickly as possible!

The third brake light does not quite cover as I was expecting. It covers what you can see while standing straight on and looking at it but... there housing 'wraps' under the wing, and that is not covered by the piece provided. I am wondering if I got the right brake light piece :confused: I may contact HS and find out about this.

Yes you have the correct piece. The wagon TBL was designed to cover what you can see, even when you are loosing up at a slight angle - while making it easily installable - even for people with big hands.

As for your wagon tails, as I have said before they are one of the most challenging kits to install we have. Do it when it is warm/hot, follow the kit specific directions and bring some patience. They are not nearly as easy as the sedan tails, but the result is worth it! Good Luck!

Interesting, my 3rd brake light covered it all, i had to streach it a lil but it covered it.....

The set I just ordered from Jinsu power (stacked overlays) fit like a glove no trim'n so they are even easier.

Hot-subaru guys rock.....their kit is def harder to put on, but the tint is better quality! just use lots of the sip solution (warm water) leave one tiny corner dry, stick the corner down so it is stuck, then work your way out pulling hard now that the corner will hold........that should help a lil!!

Oh and a GOOD squeegie makes a big diff when getting the water out and bubbles

Thanks Scans! Just a note on the sedan TBL; it has a deceptive compound curve so some pulling pushing and prodding is necessary for a proper fit. The wagon has a similar compound curve, just not as pronounced.

I did the tails... those werent too bad. im going to start on my headlights tonight.. i have all weekend to do it though, i may do it with them off, since i'm removing them to clear them out first. im afraid the smoke will look funny with the orange behind it.

-Tronix(details)GT

for more pics and info... http://angevine.org/legacy/legacy.html

Tronix, I would re-install the headlights and then install the film. Installing the film on a light out of the vehicle is harder, especially going over the projector bulge. If you do attempt the install with the headlights on your living room floor here are two suggestions. 1> sit it on a pile of towels - to help build a stable base. 2> Draft a helper to hold the light steady.

Good Luck!

Congratulations on getting most of your order on! I just checked the weather yesterday in CO, and it got down to a COLD 60 degrees last night. These are way easier to install when it is hot. And as the directions suggest, a hair dryer can help things along. Not sure what you were trimming on the mirrors? Did you stretch them out putting them on dry a few times? They should have laid down pretty well when you get the alignment right. And yes the mirrors should be done dry.

Yea it was a tad cold last night.. cool. I did it all in the garage as it was warmer in there. It would have been easier for sure during a warm day. I kept getting 'fingers' at the outer top corner of the blinker. The only way I could get rid of it.. as I saw it... was to trim that corner piece. Because of this the upper most corner... the flat top of it.. is not covered by the film. :( I am going to see if I can live with this but if I cannot I may be buying another set from ya. Is the film easy to remove:confused: I suppose if I was versed in this stuff at all the blinkers might have turned out better. I just chalk it up to my n00b status. In any event, if I do oder another set for the blinkers, I think I can do a better job... it is just more dang money:redface:

Thanks, we do try and get all the orders out as quickly as possible!

You guys rock! Thanks a ton for the great customer service!:D

Yes you have the correct piece. The wagon TBL was designed to cover what you can see, even when you are loosing up at a slight angle - while making it easily installable - even for people with big hands.

Thanks for letting me know. This makes me at least feel as though I didn't either order the wrong piece or missed something all together.

As for your wagon tails, as I have said before they are one of the most challenging kits to install we have. Do it when it is warm/hot, follow the kit specific directions and bring some patience. They are not nearly as easy as the sedan tails, but the result is worth it! Good Luck!

I am hoping no one gets hurt over these :lol: I will be bringing my patience and luck to the table on a nice sunny day.

Yea it was a tad cold last night.. cool. I did it all in the garage as it was warmer in there. It would have been easier for sure during a warm day. I kept getting 'fingers' at the outer top corner of the blinker. The only way I could get rid of it.. as I saw it... was to trim that corner piece. Because of this the upper most corner... the flat top of it.. is not covered by the film. :( I am going to see if I can live with this but if I cannot I may be buying another set from ya. Is the film easy to remove:confused:

ALL of the crystal portion of the turn signal should be covered. Even the short top section of the outer bulge. Line it up and jamb it down with the squeegee. This is the best picture I saw that demonstrates what I mean.

http://www.pcpcdallas.com/images/film/blue-mirror-1LG.jpg

Yes the film is removable. It is going to be easier to remove this month than in 5 years. If you ever do remove it be sure to hang on to what ever it was applied to - to make sure you don't pull it out of the socket so to speak.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

ALL of the crystal position of the turn signal should be covered. Even the short top section of the outer bulge. Line it up and jamb it down with the squeegee. This is the best picture I saw that demonstrates what I mean.

Kind of what I figured Kevin. It was the best this n00b could do though. I guess it does not look too bad now. I hate being a perfectionist at times. Coupled with not being good at EVERYTHING this can be troublesome :lol:

***off contemplating if I should get another set***:(

Well, I was all geared up last night to wake up today and get the tails done. What happens instead? I wake up to overcast skys, rain, and about 55-60 degree weather. Unless there is a good change in weather (which can happen in CO)... I don't think I will be getting them on until Monday :( as I have tickets to the Grand Prix tomorrow :D

ALL of the crystal portion of the turn signal should be covered. Even the short top section of the outer bulge. Line it up and jamb it down with the squeegee. This is the best picture I saw that demonstrates what I mean.

http://www.pcpcdallas.com/images/film/blue-mirror-1LG.jpg

Yes the film is removable. It is going to be easier to remove this month than in 5 years. If you ever do remove it be sure to hang on to what ever it was applied to - to make sure you don't pull it out of the socket so to speak.

Hey Kevin...do you have these in Orange? like the reflectors in the headlights? I'm dying for orange

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GP was a lot of fun. Incredible cars :D

I got the tails done. I think my fingertips are going to fall off though - between the heat of the blow dryer, pressing, and pushing... they hurt. Again, I am not skilled at such a thing so it took me longer than the average schmo that has done this before. The tails definately took some time. I think they turned out ok... not perfect but good :)

Pics will be coming tomorrow. I have to wash her up first.

The only real issue I had was the final trim. Once they were all done and all the 'fingers' we pulled out, I trimmed the inside piece - tailgate area. I think I just trimmed to close 'cause they pulled up around the edge and exposed an ever so small amount of the red lense. So what did I do? I could not have this. I heated up the the vinyl and pulled her up and then out to cover up the area that had become exposed.

The only thing I am worried about is the glue under the edge of one. I pulled it to cover the exposed lense, and it does not look as clear under there anymore. I am hoping it will clear with heat as it dries - but there is really not a lot of moisture under there... I am just hoping the glue evens out/clears up :redface:

Overall I am happy with the look. In the end however, I wish I had more experience doing such a thing. Being a perfectionist - as a lot of us on here are - there are just little things that bug me.

As my wife has pointed out on my clear bra and such - that was professionally done - they are not perfect either. I think it is just the nature of the beast. Speaking of my wife. I could not have done this without her!

evil-o, glad to hear you got them on! They get better with age :) Not that is matters now, but you do need to wait a bit before trimming the inner flap off. We purposely made the inner flap of the wagon big so you can work out the fingers easier.

As for making orange turn signals I'll assume that was a joke as everybody seems to freak out at the least bit of orange in any lens!

evil-o, glad to hear you got them on! They get better with age :) Not that is matters now, but you do need to wait a bit before trimming the inner flap off. We purposely made the inner flap of the wagon big so you can work out the fingers easier.

As for making orange turn signals I'll assume that was a joke as everybody seems to freak out at the least bit of orange in any lens!

no it's not a joke...i'm thinking the lenses won't look so bad if they are matching some orange elsewhere...like when they are actually blinking...can this be done?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived