LegacyGT.com

What to look for in a 2nd gen Legacy

the 95 and 96 L models i have owned both had disc brakes all around.

i assume the 98 L would be the same.

i THINK, the brighton had rear drums, but i have not worked on one.

i have no experience with the imprezas.

I would guess the '98 "L" would too. I'm thinking our old 1st generation '94 Legacy "L" had 4 wheel discs but that was a long time ago and I never worked on the brakes so I'm not sure if I remember correctly. That would be awesome if it has- I hate drum brakes.

Well, I guess this one is an exception? When you take them both out and compare them the older cup holders(two same size) has more engineering and parts in it as well as a small release switch in the middle. The later style is just replete of any moving parts that are metal and has no switch just a word that says "Push". The older style is straight front to back while the newer one is a diagonal shaped piece. I prefer the older one with the same size cup holes. Subaru just went more econo mode in the later years apparently..

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/Rubenjc111/Snapbucket/93886DD4.jpg

The reality of that I'm talking about cup holders....buhahaha!!

• 3 weeks later...
Well I bought the '98 Legacy today, EJ22 with automatic. Rode very well on the 50 mile trip home. A/C still not working well so it will need to be looked at. I'm thinking probably will need to change the timing belt as there is no record of when it was last, or ever, replaced. Also looks like it does have rear discs (haven't had the rear wheels off yet but I think I could see a little bit of a rotor through the the hole in the wheel. I'll likely be putting new pads on all around as well.

Archived